• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Undergrad Math vs. Stats?

Math vs Stats

• Total voters
Hi, I am a to-be freshman at the math & stats department of a decent Korean college.
I can choose between two majors - math and statistics.
A math major has to take significant loads of analysis, linear algebra, etc. while a stats major has to take 12 credits or so of statistics programming courses. The rest can be considered identical.
I am planning to major one of Math or Stats and major/minor in (financial) economics. Please help me make a choice.

If you are keen to become a quant analyst or quant dev I would choose the maths over the stats. The real analysis and linear algebra will allow you to do other courses such as stochastic calculus and numerical analysis. You can always pick up stats later, as it is much easier to learn via self-study. Or at least, I have found that to be the case!

Yeah, despite popular opinion, doing math will give you a strong foundation for a later (or concurrent) study of stats. You'll be stronger than most other applied math people who often only have a flimsy understanding of mathematics.

Back