• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Undergrad

Where should I go for undergrad?

My current thoughts are
CMU
NYU
UPenn
UVA
MIT

But they're expensive/hard to get into
So how are these schools (for _undergrad_)
UMCP
Binghampton
Baruch

How is job placement at the last three, and for Baruch, is social life really that bad? :(

Thanks for your time everyone, sorry for asking so many questions on this forum. With all of these, keep in mind I probably intend to pursue a career as a quant.

Why don't you apply first and then if you get into all these schools,.the decision will be easier as you'll have more data points to make an informed decision - cost. location, etc

Not all schools have undergrad placement figures, but you can always reach out to the dept you're interested in or the career services center to see if they have any numbers

I don't see how location can change based on whether I get in or not =)

As for cost, let's assume I get next to no financial aid.

You really should go to the "best" university you can get into and that fits you best. I can only imagine that the competitiveness of quant jobs will increase in the future so being the best you can be and any small edge like brand name will be a plus.

What do you want to study?

Some background info/profile will help in suggesting universities for you.

Ok. Let's start with Stats, since that will be what gets me rejected from the top universities.

Now my SAT scores are fine, and super scored (I'm retaking in the fall) should get me
Math: 800 (I have this)
CR: 790 (I have this)
Writing: 750+ (I only have 710 right now, but I want 2350+)

My PSAT score was a 223 so that should get me at least NMSQT semifinalist.

And now for the bad part.... Unweighted GPA..... 3.6 .______________________.
It's not because I'm dumb. I'm really not - I'm the captain/founder of the school's Econ Challenge team, National Semi-finalist for the physics Olympiad, have gotten 10 5's on my AP exams (and I haven't even done senior year yet; that being said I'm not bragging because AP's are a complete joke and do not resemble the college classes in anyway). It's just that I do not do well in dull classes in which only busy work is given. My weighted is a little under a 4.4. This is what is really worrying me.

My EC's awards are quite good, but no -NATIONAL- awards. 260 service hours but this should be about 300 at the time I apply.

So those are my basic stats. As for what I want: I definitely want a finance degree as I simply adore the subject. I understand that to be a quant a more technical degree is required, and so I am more than willing to double major in either computer science or math, depending on the college. And although I want to be a quant now, I do want to keep my career paths open.

I live in the DC area (Maryland, specifically) and cost is an issue unless I get into a superb school (i.e Wharton) in which case it is probably reasonable for me to take out a loan.

Thank you very much Connor and everyone for your help.

Not much you can do about your GPA except do your best your senior year. Could always try taking the ACT.

You will need great letters of recommendation.

I like your list so far:
CMU
NYU
UPenn
UVA
MIT

Could also consider Columbia, Michigan, Chicago, Berkeley, and Cornell.

University of Maryland is a good school too.

Basic idea is to apply to x number of schools above your level (in case you get lucky), x number at your level and x number before your level (as safe schools). I would recommend apply to the best schools that you feel you have a reasonable chance of getting into. Worry about deciding between schools based on cost/location after you are accepted.

Think about double majoring in finance and math, maybe with a minor in computer science or economics. Double majoring in CS would give you more job options later but you won't have the math for some quant stuff.

It's not about choosing the school I want to go to so much as choosing the school I want to apply to :P

Still, what schools would be designated "safeties" for me, in your opinion? EDIT: And what is "my level"?
And what of SUNY Binghampton and Baruch (or do you just not know that much about their undergrad programs to be able to profile them)?

Thank you very much for your help.

EDIT
: To add to my profile (this is actually probably important, I have put this on other threads though)
I have had two internships so far. One was at a commodity (specifically oil) information service provider, as an intern dev. The other will be at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, part time... as.... an intern xD

I don't know and therefore can't comment on SUNY Binghampton and Baruch but I imagine since I never heard of them before coming to this forum that their reputation is more localized.

I would probably consider most state public universities safeties for you. I would think you would have no problem getting into the University of Maryland.

And from the list of universities that you and I mentioned, I would expect you to get accepted in at least 1 or 2 of them.

What is at your level is hard to say because admissions are part luck. Maybe UPenn and UVA are at your level, hard to say for sure.

Thanks for taking the time. I'd buy you a beer but I'm under 21 :P
Still curious if someone knows about Baruch because it is certainly affordable.

Another question, Connor, if you don't mind (sorry for being such a brat; there is no one around me to ask these sorts of things). Which would be better, a mth or stat major?

Your help is sincerely appreciated ;D

Math or stats? First not all universities off stats as a major. I'm sure there will be some different opinions here but in my opinion unless you want to do a masters/phd in math I would say major in stats and just make sure you take the math courses mentioned on this forum as prerequisite for MFE.

I didn't do my undergrad at Baruch so can't tell much about their majors there. I know a good number of Baruch undergrads made it to the Baruch MFE programs and did very well there.
Also, Baruch is voted #1 diversified college in the country for a reason. There are clubs catered to all kind of interest, nationality. Baruch is a commuter college so there aren't much of college life to speak of.

Baruch isn't the Engineering college in the CUNY system, City College (CCNY) is. I would look there if you want a STEM degree from a CUNY school.

Baruch is a Liberal Arts and Sciences college, has limited undergrad math, at least in that they may have the courses but they are not always offered. Originally when I met with Baruch undergrad profs it was clear the MFE program was fairly separate from the rest of the departments (other than the 'Math of Finance' 4000 level courses maybe). Perhaps it's changing, but it seemed the intensity and academic rigour of the MFE program was much different from the undergraduate programs at Baruch (i.e. Arts v Science). I'm sure Dan can elaborate and/or clarify, I didn't ask him when we met as it was much later.

Also note in the CUNY system you can get ePermits to take courses at any CUNY college as part of your degree, if you wish. So choosing your home college is important, but you can elect to take courses at other colleges (with justification).

I'm not particularly interested in taking "engineering" for undergrad, but what you're telling me is that it's undergrad is of far lower caliber than it's masters? Is that correct?

Thank you very much, I appreciate your time.

I'm not an authority on it, it was just the impression I had. You need to make up your mind what your major is. If it's finance, then Baruch's Zicklin School is good. If it's a double major in Comp Sci and Math, then it's not.

My point is every school has their best programs, and then the rest for diversification. Pick your top schools based on your major.

Keep in mind, Baruch is a public college, undergrad tuition is low and as such not every department has tons of funding.

I was kind of thinking double major.
Does anyone know if undergrad students can take graduate classes, provided that they have the required prerequisites?

I was kind of thinking double major.
Does anyone know if undergrad students can take graduate classes, provided that they have the required prerequisites?

Yes undergrads are usually allowed to take graduate courses, but graduates students usually have priority when signing up for these classes. And the undergraduate take whatever spots that remain.

Is that usual? And if so, doesn't that mean the undergraduate education, can, effectively, be of quite high quality?

Back