• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Undergraduate Course Selection

Hi, I know there are a lot of similar posts, but I was looking for some advice. I am an undergradute student going into my fourth year next year and needed some help in filling out my schedule with hopes of starting an MFE degree in the fall of 2011. By the end of this year I will have completed a calulus sequence (4 classes total), 2 linear algebra classes, an introduction to differential equantions, and a class on statistics and probability theory (a class combining both, mathematical based). Next year I am for sure taking a class on paritial differential equations, two classes on analysis, and a mathematical statistics class, among my other major requirements. I will have room for one more class and have narrowed it down to the following:

1. Intermediate Differential Equations: Elementary existence and uniqueness theorems. Systems of equations, stability, perturbation theory. Introduction to numerical methods. Introduction to phase plane analysis;

2. Mathematical Programming and Optimization; or

3. Introduction to Computer Science.

Due to scheduling conflicts, these are really my only options. I am currently learning C++ on my own, but do not have any computing classes on my transcript. Of the classes listed if at all, will be of the most benefit for an MFE program?

Thank you all very much for your help and time.

Come application time, you'll definitely have met the math requirement for virtually all MFE programs. Despite the fact you're learning C++ on your own, I'd recommend taking the Intro to CS class.

Back