• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Verbal Job Offer

Hi all,

After a few rounds of interview, I met with HR representative and was told that they would like to hire me and a written offer will be sent in a day or two. She also asked about expected & past salaries, starting date, etc.

Can I treat it as a verbal job offer? Do you guys think I get the job?

Now, a few days has passed and I haven't heard back from her.
Should I wait a few more days or contact HR/Department head?

1.) I wouldn't reply with Historical salary information. I would tell them Market Price for expected, unless you have loads of experience.
2.) I would say it's a verbal offer, which does hold in court...but it's your word against theirs. Be patient and push for the contract. It's not official until you sign the dotted line...

Reiterate your interest in the position, and ask them for a written offer that includes salary information, etc. It's a good sign someone says they want to hire you, now you want to negotiate salary.

Reiterate your interest in the position, and ask them for a written offer that includes salary information, etc. It's a good sign someone says they want to hire you, now you want to negotiate salary.

I stated expected & past salaries during the interview.

I received an email from HR rep. just now which says the final desicion has not been yet made. I don't know what went wrong? What should I do?

I'm afraid it's because the expected salary that I mentioned during the interview is outside their range...If that's the case, what should I do? Because I really want the job.

Your salary will be based on your past salary or your work experience and education and NOT on what the "expected" salary is for the position. The expected salary can be 80K but if you experience and education puts you in 55K..that is what you will get. The verbal offer always comes before the written offer. That is a standard here.

If they asked you for salary information and what not, then they have not made a decision. When they make an offer they always tell you the salary they are offering. They will NEVER make an offer without telling you your salary. So no offer was made to you if they did not mention what your salary will be. The salary information is usually the last step before a potential offer can be made so they are in the final decision stage.

Unless you asked something insane, even if you did mention a high expected salary you will still be given the salary that fits their matrix of education and experience.

Back