• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Washington University in St. Louis MS Finance

Dear all

I have admitted to the MS Finance at Washington University in St. Louis and waiting to hear back from other schools. I was wondering if any of you has any experience with this program in terms of placement.

Please let me know!

Dear all

I have admitted to the MS Finance at Washington University in St. Louis and waiting to hear back from other schools. I was wondering if any of you has any experience with this program in terms of placement.

Please let me know!

I know Olin has a good well renowned finance faculty. That is about it. I think one of their professors is top 10 in most downloaded SSRN authors.

That's where I went to school. Stick with Phil Dybvig - he's the best guy there, super smart, and connected on Wall Street. Guofu Zhou is also quite good, but not as connected.

As far as placement, I made it to Wall Street, so there you go. They also put people in Chicago, and some locally in Saint Louis (Wells Fargo runs a big interest rate hedging operation there, and there are some sophisticated fixed income shops worth looking at). Placement is decent (used to be 90-95% at graduation - I don' t know about now, with the great recession), mainly in the Midwest, with Midwest salaries, not so much on the coasts (must travel for interviews - banks won't pay now, as far as I understand), but it can be done if you really want it.

People used to complain that the placement wasn't so great, but they have been trying to rebuild it these last few years. They have a very decent alumni list to call, at all the big banks, but they are not known as a quant school. Don't expect random people to think of you as a superstar quant after going there. They do very solid work, but they don't get alot of press or 'brand value' and seem to live in the placement shadow of Chicago and alot of other schools. The other guy who confused them with George Washington U is a typical response - other people in San Francisco once asked, "So how did you like Seattle?" (U of Washington), etc.

Back