• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Wed Oct 29 IAFE's How I Became a Quant: Boston

The IAFE Education Committee and the Fischer Black Memorial Foundation are pleased to invite you to
How I Became a Quant: Boston
Thursday, October 30, 2008
5:30 Registration, 6:00 Program, 7:30 Reception
Hosted by
Building 4, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room 370
Speakers
Dan DiBartolomeo, Northfield Information Services
Michael O'Malley,
Citizens Financial Group
Jarrod Wilcox, Wilcox Investment Inc.
Moderated by
Andrew Lo, MIT Sloan School of Management
The recent explosive growth in quantitative finance has led mathematics, physics, computer science and engineering students of all levels to wonder whether a career or an advanced degree in quantitative finance is right for them. With the rapid increase in sophisticated quantitative and computational techniques employed in financial firms there has been increasing demand for students with highly quantitative backgrounds to work in the financial field and an increase in advanced degree programs covering these topics.

This forum is designed to give a personal view of the world of quantitative finance from the point of view of five quantitative finance professionals with varying specialties. Without formulas or Microsoft Power Point, our panelists will share their own experiences and engage in a moderated discussion with plenty of time to answer student questions. A reception for students and panelists will be held after the event.
Sponsored by

This event is free to attend, but space is limited. All attendees must register by 5pm on Wednesday, October 29th.​
To register for this event please visit this link or visit www.iafe.org.​

Finally, an IAFE event in Boston! Count me in!

The IAFE Education Committee and the Fischer Black Memorial Foundation are pleased to invite you to
How I Became a Quant: Boston
Thursday, October 30, 2008
5:30 Registration, 6:00 Program, 7:30 Reception
Hosted by
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Building 4, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room 370
Speakers
Dan DiBartolomeo, Northfield Information Services
Michael O'Malley,
Citizens Financial Group
Jarrod Wilcox, Wilcox Investment Inc.
Moderated by
Andrew Lo, MIT Sloan School of Management
The recent explosive growth in quantitative finance has led mathematics, physics, computer science and engineering students of all levels to wonder whether a career or an advanced degree in quantitative finance is right for them. With the rapid increase in sophisticated quantitative and computational techniques employed in financial firms there has been increasing demand for students with highly quantitative backgrounds to work in the Boston Wedding financial field and an increase in advanced degree programs covering these topics.

This forum is designed to give a personal view of the world of quantitative finance from the point of view of five quantitative finance professionals with varying specialties. Without formulas or Microsoft Power Point, our panelists will share their own experiences and engage in a moderated discussion with plenty of time to answer student questions. A reception for students and panelists will be held after the event.

Sponsored by
Northfield Information Services, Inc

This event is free to attend, but space is limited. All attendees must register by 5pm on Wednesday, October 29th.
To register for this event please visit this link or visit www.iafe.org.​
I was at this event and for all of you who have not attended a IAFE event, this is my recommendation for you to do so.

They are very rewarding experiences and you will learn a lot from it.

-jim

Every How I Became a Quant is different, and depends greatly on the panelists for its quality and information value. As a member of the audience I participated in one sponsored by the MFE Program of Claremont Graduate University (CGU) in the Southern California region. Although the panelists were introduced as quants, some of them were far from that. In fact one of the panelists seemed to have a low (like college calculus or lower) level of math knowledge in her career. Another panelist yet did not deal with any finance at all, though used quantitative techniques to make forcasts, etc. The event took place at a time when Lehman debacle (along with the failures of other giants) was in the news, and when it was already reported that the ecomnomy was in recession since December of 2007. The panelists seemed to be unperturbed by the cataclysmic ruptures in the economy and it was all apparent that all they could think of was to say good things so that the CGU would continue to attract or keep students in the MFE Program, even if a large percentage of the audience members (mostly students, more than half foreign students) would have no chance of obtaining a decent quant job after graduation. In short, they proffered false and hollow quant job market projections. It should be obvious that CGU is in no way unique in its efforts to sell the MFE product even if it has to resort to shameless marketing techniques like How I Became a Quant. Poor foreign student dupes who generously keep giving to help keep these MFE programs afloat around the country, especially in these tough economic times: Thank You!

Back