• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What are some good ways to prepare for the GRE?

How is the classroom course by Princeton review? Is it a waste of money or not? What are some good study guides? Barron's or Princeton review or others?

Also, I'm getting the idea that the verbal section is much harder than the quantitative section, and being that I'm terrible with vocabulary what are some ways to study for the verbal? Would memorizing tons of definitions be enough other than studying the study guides?

The verbal section of the GRE is pretty unimportant if you're applying to MFEs. Just make sure to get 780-800 on the quantitative section and you'll be fine.

As for studying for the GRE, use the free Powerprep software from the ETS website - it has two sample exams that are just like the real thing, and if you take them repeatedly you'll get different questions each time.

Go through Barrons pretty well.

I think the quant section needs presence of mind and concentration. The point is, the questions are too simple and you tend to get sloppy at times.

I would recommend you to crack 800 on Quant. For verbal, aim at more than 650. Then you might get near to 600.

Also go through the big book for verbal.

Aditya is right, you need 800 on the quant section, which is by no means difficult. The GRE quant sections is nothing more than algebra and geometry. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is simply to take as many practice tests as you can and familiarize yourself with the type of question they ask. The types of questions are pretty redudunant throughout the tests. Be sure to thoroughly read the and understand each question.

As for the verbal, don't worry too much about that. As long as you don't completely bomb it, you'll be fine. Naturally, a higher score is better, but as long as you get a score > 550, you should be fine. Spend most of your time reviewing the quant section.

Pretty much any book will do - Barrons, Princeton Review, Kaplan, Peterson, REA...etc. Get a few and just work through them. Be sure to get the Powerprep software from ETS, its free. It'll give you a feel for the type fo questions you'll face.

Don't bother with any of the Kaplan or Princeton Reviews courses, I think they're a complete waste of time and money.

Back