• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What are the key characteristics of top students in MFE

Hi,

I'm an undergraduate in math major. I' considering to apply for MFE program. But before that, I'd like to know the key characteristics for one to succeed in this graduate program and future career. I know the math ability is probably one. What else?

Thanks for the help in advance :)

Henry

For MFE you need to have strong knowledge in: Math, Programming, Finance. Good personality won't hurt either ;)

Technical skills (math, programming, ...) will get you your first job or entry into the field but your soft skills (personality type, presentation, political acumen...) dictate where in the food chain you will be in 20 years.

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13337/504; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

From my observation, each program has its own criteria and scale of who is determined a good candidate to the program. One with these desired traits may or may not be successful in any given MFE program and it is impossible to valuate the softskill without in person interview so the best indicators are quantifiable.

Grade: top 5% of their program, class as suggested by the professors who write the letters of rec
Gpa: summa cum laude type ie a cummulative gpa of at least 3.8 in a hard science major at a school not known for grade boosting.
Standard test score: GRE (800/500+/5+), TOEFL (120+)
English ability: for international students, it is desirable to spend at least a semester in an environment where English is the main language. Exchange program is a good choice for this purpose.
Math: all the usual required courses taken with an A. Extra point for those participated in the Putnam, Math IOC and placed.

Thank you all for the responses :)

I have now a better understanding of the program and criteria.

Notwithstanding Andy's imposing set of requirements (I might satisfy one or two), here's what I see as being useful, aside from the obvious ones of being fairly smart and willing to work hard:

Be flexible.
Finance is a social science. As pretty as the math looks at times, and as much as some practitioners may try to convince you otherwise, most of what's done is incomplete, inconsistent, or implausible. My feeling, at least, is that a little bit of art, a lot of common sense, and at least some humility and humor are the primary requirements when your job is to contend with this reality on a daily basis.

Be creative.
FE is a mongrel, unorthodox field. It will only survive if we get a steady supply of wild ideas, most of which turn out to be useless. To me, this is the fun part. I hold up my end by trying to have at least one useless idea a week.

Be realistic.
Unless you are exceptionally lucky, as an FE the primary consumers of your work do not understand it, and definitely do not think it's cool. They will by turns find it incomprehensible, inconvenient, and above all too slow. Always understand that the results you produce fit into a bigger picture. Once you understand what that bigger picture is, if you can then do your work with integrity and honesty, I would say this is the field for you.

Just for the sake of clarity, I should point out that these things are not necessarily the requirements to be sailing your yacht around the world in ten years. I would say that the quants I respect most have these characteristics to some degree, but there are plenty of others who succeed by other means. You will encounter in this field people who proceed by knowing less than they seem to, by doing less than they promise to, by intimidating the less experienced or cheating the unwary. If this seems an acceptable means of succeeding to you, then I would point out that there are many easier paths into finance for people whose aspirations lie in that direction.

Back