• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What aspect of Computer Science is important?

I'm currently a sophomore planning to major in either Computer Science or Electrical Engineering and I'm wondering which major is more relevant to becoming a quant. I know Computer Science is quite important in quant work but I'm afraid that the major won't be "quantitative" enough. Also if I do pursue a degree in Computer Science what aspect of it should I focus on? AI? Systems? Theory? Database? or Computational Science?

Thanks

I don't know what courses they offer in your EE degree but at my school EE includes Calculus 1 2 3 (upto Vector), Differential Equations, Algebra 1 and 2, C and C++ programming, and Stochastic Processes at minimum.

The Computer science only includes basic mathematics courses and lots of programming obviously.

EE is more rigorous then CS. Worse comes to worse, if you don't like Quant Finance later, you still have a good engineering degree to fall back on.

The Computer science only includes basic mathematics courses and lots of programming obviously.

CS is a hodge-podge. The math tends to be combinatorics -- enumerative and graph theory.

EE is more rigorous then CS. Worse comes to worse, if you don't like Quant Finance later, you still have a good engineering degree to fall back on.

True.

Back