• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What books are you currently reading?

For any of you who like alternate-world fantasy (a la Song of Ice and Fire, which I saw mentioned above, and which a lot of people seem to be reading now because of the HBO series), I highly recommend Rothfuss. The quality of his writing is several cuts above what you usually find in the genre.

So the HBO series is finally there ?! Wow ! I will need to check this out !

The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss--re-reading it, actually, since the second book in the series just came out, and my wife is almost finished with it.

For any of you who like alternate-world fantasy (a la Song of Ice and Fire, which I saw mentioned above, and which a lot of people seem to be reading now because of the HBO series), I highly recommend Rothfuss. The quality of his writing is several cuts above what you usually find in the genre.

In this series, he has done a very smart thing for a new author generally, and especially for an author in this genre, and set himself a task that has a defined endpoint. Although I initially thought Martin was going to be able to avoid a Jordanesque morass in Song, and I turned out to be wrong about that, I'm pinning my hopes on Rothfuss now as someone who can actually keep his story under control and end it in a satisfactory manner.

I really like this book, but haven't read Wiseman's Tears yet. It is different from other fantasy series because it focus on a single person instead of a whole continent (and for Erikson below, different worlds).

I am rereading Steven Erikson's epic fantasy series, Reaper's Gale. The last book just came out a few months ago so I want to catch up on some of the older books before I get into them.

I really like this book, but haven't read Wiseman's Tears yet..
I haven't read The Wise Man's Fear yet, either, but my wife tells me she likes it a great deal. This is backed up by the cumulative number of hours past her preferred bedtime she's stayed up to read it.

Reviews on Amazon show that some are blown away, others are a bit disappointed. Not too surprising. I'm looking forward to getting my turn with it.

So the HBO series is finally there ?! Wow ! I will need to check this out !

We don't have HBO, so I'll have to wait until it's out on DVD. But a friend of mine whose judgment I trust a great deal in these matters says he really likes the adaptation.

The Brothers Karmazov, and I intend to complate it before my mfe program starts :)

As of now I'm finishing last book of Joe Abercrombie trilogy "The First Law". One of the best dark fantasy books I read after Martin (Song of Ice and Fire) and Cook (Black Company)

Have you read Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series? It is very dark too, and if you like GRRM/Cook/Abercrombie, you should like that one too.

Have you read Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series? It is very dark too, and if you like GRRM/Cook/Abercrombie, you should like that one too.

Hey Steven, of course I did, as of now I read the first three books of Malazan series, just never had time to continue with it, always there were something more interesting to start first :)

You are indeed courageous to mention her name in polite society.
Why is it that any time someone mentions Ayn Rand around here everyone has to open their mouth with a motherf--king opinion? Why not just let the guy read the book in peace and levelheadedly form his own opinions without threats of intellectual ostracism by "polite" people like you?

Why is it that any time someone mentions Ayn Rand around here everyone has to open their mouth with a motherf--king opinion? Why not just let the guy read the book in peace and levelheadedly form his own opinions without threats of intellectual ostracism. by "polite" people like you?

What threat of intellectual ostracism? You sound like a raving lunatic. And go and wash your mouth with soap.

Just recently finished Derman's "My life as a quant". Currently: translating Wilmott 3rd volume codes to C# and Roger Nelsen's Introduction to Copulas. Planning to begin some Game Theories after finishing the Nelsen's book.

I just started "Investments" of Bodie, Kane and Marcus.
I still have a lot to learn about finance before the program starts in August.

I just started "Investments" of Bodie, Kane and Marcus.
I still have a lot to learn about finance before the program starts in August.

Excellent book. Which edition are you reading?

The 8th edition.
The 9th edition was at the same price but with the 8th I have the S&P's Educational Version of Market Insight and I figured it might be useful/fun, I'll see.

The 8th edition.
The 9th edition was at the same price but with the 8th I have the S&P's Educational Version of Market Insight and I figured it might be useful/fun, I'll see.

Good Luck with your studies. I also have 7th and 8th editions. Haven't got the 9th edition but they all are exactly the same. Just cover changed and one chapter added in 8th edition which reflects precisely those topics mentioned and explained in the 7th one.

What threat of intellectual ostracism? You sound like a raving lunatic. And go and wash your mouth with soap.
Ok, I don't want to get in a fight over this. I'm just bothered every time this happens on an internet forum.

I haven't been on here very long, but I don't like some of the things I've seen. It saddens me that you feel the need to be so arrogant about things you disapprove of. If this is because you're hurting deep down, then I wish peace and blessings to you. If not, then I don't know what to say.

I think I'm done with the non-factual aspects of this forum for now.

Back