• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What can I expect after graduation?

Hi,

I am about to graduate from Imperial College's MSc in Mathematics and Finance with highest grade in all courses. However, I have essentially no industry experience and don't even know if this has a notable impact on job searching anyway? Is this really "worth anything"?

Basically, I would like to hear some career advice for someone in my position.

Thanks.

Hi,

I am about to graduate from Imperial College's MSc in Mathematics and Finance with highest grade in all courses. However, I have essentially no industry experience and don't even know if this has a notable impact on job searching anyway? Is this really "worth anything"?

Basically, I would like to hear some career advice for someone in my position.

Thanks.
Doesn't IC have a career service ?
I talked with a student who graduated in the program last summer. He told me found two full-time opportunities just after the degree. However, I don't know how he found them.
Imo, you should post this questions also on wilmott, since there you will find more past and current students enrolled in UK programs than here.

MathAndrw, "Doesn't IC have a career service ?"
Yes it has two, sadly the OP has only access to the dysfunctional one, the business school is much better.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to help ecanif because not long ago Imperial College's career service sent mailout forbidding City recruiters from advertising jobs to IC students.
Baruch( for instance) bought me breakfast, Berkeley and Chicago did lunch, Cambridge wants my firm to sponsor and some ask me to come speak to their students, the CQF actually pays me to do that but apparently IC careers department has higher standards...

Don't expect anything from IC careers unless there's something in it for them and yes they do know what I say about them.

ecanif's record looks good, indeed if he was at any other top school other than Imperial I'd ask why he didn't have at least a reserve option already.

It has been put to me that I ought to sneak into Imperial and do one of my notorious CV surgeries, if ecanif wants to get his mates to dodge the Careers office guards, I'm Dominic ~ PaulDominic.com

Yes Dominic I remembered other your posts on wilmott against IC math career service. However I also remember you regarded that program highly than the business one. Am I wrong?

MathAndrw, "Doesn't IC have a career service ?"
Yes it has two, sadly the OP has only access to the dysfunctional one, the business school is much better.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to help ecanif because not long ago Imperial College's career service sent mailout forbidding City recruiters from advertising jobs to IC students.
Baruch( for instance) bought me breakfast, Berkeley and Chicago did lunch, Cambridge wants my firm to sponsor and some ask me to come speak to their students, the CQF actually pays me to do that but apparently IC careers department has higher standards...

Don't expect anything from IC careers unless there's something in it for them and yes they do know what I say about them.

ecanif's record looks good, indeed if he was at any other top school other than Imperial I'd ask why he didn't have at least a reserve option already.

It has been put to me that I ought to sneak into Imperial and do one of my notorious CV surgeries, if ecanif wants to get his mates to dodge the Careers office guards, I'm Dominic ~ PaulDominic.com

I sent you a message on your profile page Dominic.

Thank you.

Domini I have read many of your posts on Quantnet and I have to say I am really shocked that someone is leading on people obviously clueless about their situation in order to interest them in your (ahem) "headhunting" services. Do you actually know ANYTHING about the quant field? What is your placement rate? People such as Jayathan above will NOT find a job with only engineering and the CQF so stop trying to push it (Willmott's mate and business partner jayathan DON'T listen to him. Oh and yes you've done the CQF big deal; it's a worthless bit of paper). You are shameless and have no morals.

Get off this site you money-grubbing creep. Anyone else if he was really any good do you think he'd be trawling through forums trying to squeeze out some work? Domini you scream DESPERADO, and your photo merely emphasises it (Arthur Daley ring any bells?)

Back