• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What courses should I take in college for quant + career advice.

I am currently in my first year of university as a math major. I want to get into the quant space, I am more interested in the quant research side, developing asset pricing models et cetera. What courses should I take that are good for quant? I am nearing the end of my second semester and have done equivelents of calc 1 and calc 2, intro to stats and first year economics and finance courses. Within the next two semesters I plan on taking real analysis, multivariable calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, probability and inference, fundementals of quantitative finance, modelling and visualisation in R and financial data analysis. However, for third year I am unsure what courses to be doing, PDE's and numerical methods I will do, and probably functional analysis too. However, there is no courses in stochastc calculus, just stochastic processes.

Are there any more courses I should be taking that are relevant to quant?

Secondly, can you get quantitative research positions with just a bachelors degree+honours? Also what programming languages should I be learning for quant, and how can I learn them. I do not really have any experience programming and I regret not taking a computer programming course this year, how can I learn?

stochastic calculus == stochastic processes

someone correct me if i'm wrong

stochastic calculus == stochastic processes

someone correct me if i'm wrong
Well stochastic calculus is just calculus on functions containing variables that are stochastic in nature. You can’t have stoch calc without stoch processes, but they’re not really the same thing. That would be like saying functions=calculus

Back