• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

what do you think about Vb.net

Hi there, I'm second year math major. Last semester, I took math integrated computing class. We used vb.net to solve the real world application. For instance, model the fish farming, simulate double pendulum, calculate the mean, stDev, skewness of the return of each stock. I feel like vb.net is useless, since the only language in this thread I see is C++ and C. So, has anyone use vb.net in real life? Btw, I can hand my assignment in another language. I did Java for a bit in my high school. Should I start learning different language?

Thanks

for simple real world application, vb.net is fine. for working with big data, vb.net and java is a no no. python or R would be simpler to learn.

VB.NET should be compared to C#. In that case it has exactly the same functionality, efficiency as C# so make the choice. The syntax is a bit verbose IF ... ELSE ... ENDIF compared to C#.

I have not seen it (mentioned) in finance although it is used in other areas, e.g. AutoCAD. It is the ideal language for engineers etc. who are not full-time programmers but who need to developer (smallish) applications.

It is probably easier to learn than C# and integration with Excel is somewhat easier. And you can call C# from VB.NET and vice versa.

The point is to become good at programming, in any language. So, your dept has made a good choice IMO.

Last edited:
for simple real world application, vb.net is fine. for working with big data, vb.net and java is a no no. python or R would be simpler to learn.

As I mentioned, VB.NET is the same as C#. BTW I don't seem how big data is relevant here.

Last edited:
... for working with big data, vb.net and java is a no no.

I don't know where you read that Java is a no no for big data but I think you are not correct since there are multiple projects geared towards what people call "big data" developed in Java, for example: Hadoop.

I don't know where you read that Java is a no no for big data but I think you are not correct since there are multiple projects geared towards what people call "big data" developed in Java, for example: Hadoop.

sorry, i work with (not read) millions of data points everyday and some simulations and vb.net and j2se just love to crash on me. Maybe j2ee works smoothly but i'm not a big fan of automatic garbage collection. Can you explain how GC works on the above 2 mentioned languages?

sorry, i work with (not read) millions of data points everyday and some simulations and vb.net and j2se just love to crash on me. Maybe j2ee works smoothly but i'm not a big fan of automatic garbage collection. Can you explain how GC works on the above 2 mentioned languages?

OK. VB.NET is not for big data. That is not enough to invalidate it as a useful language.

It was built for desktop applications ansd is a sucessor of VB6. That's all.

VB would not be the 1st choice for millions of data??

There are many VB.NET developers out there.

Last edited:
Before I'll go into details, let me ask you some of questions regarding your application.

- When you say millions of points, how much space are you referring to in GBs?
- Are you working in 32 bits or 64bits? Which flavor of Unix/Linux?

I used to work with around 40GBs of data on a daily basis and ran an application in java to deal with it. This is not remotely close to "big data" and java handled it without problems. No need to tweak the garbage collector at all or anything like that. It's all a matter of the right algorithms and data structures.

Before I'll go into details, let me ask you some of questions regarding your application.

- When you say millions of points, how much space are you referring to in GBs?
- Are you working in 32 bits or 64bits? Which flavor of Unix/Linux?

I used to work with around 40GBs of data on a daily basis and ran an application in java to deal with it. This is not remotely close to "big data" and java handled it without problems. No need to tweak the garbage collector at all or anything like that. It's all a matter of the right algorithms and data structures.

chill. vb.net is great for being quick and dirty, as it was designed to be.

a million data points x ticker codes x dates x last close x volume on a daily or tick basis wouldn't take up that much space. mostly 32bit and results seems the same on windows, fedora and debian. my conclusion is that java does the job but it still runs on a JVM afterall, and a potential speed bottleneck exists. can't have this happening when positions are open. And then came along SAS as a paid solution to do all these work, but it'll be out of topic.

http://java.dzone.com/articles/should-i-use-32-or-64-bit-jvm

Still, if my goal is to work in financial industry or data science, should I start learning C++, Pyton or R instead?

Last edited:
Still, if my goal is to work in financial industry or data science, should I start learning C++, Pyton or R instead?
these are two different things. Do you want to do Data Science or you want to do Finance? If you want to do finance, what are you looking for? C++ might not be the right answer and while some employers in Finance might like it, people from the Data Science camp are not too fond of it.

chill. vb.net is great for being quick and dirty, as it was designed to be.

a million data points x ticker codes x dates x last close x volume on a daily or tick basis wouldn't take up that much space. mostly 32bit and results seems the same on windows, fedora and debian. my conclusion is that java does the job but it still runs on a JVM afterall, and a potential speed bottleneck exists. can't have this happening when positions are open. And then came along SAS as a paid solution to do all these work, but it'll be out of topic.

http://java.dzone.com/articles/should-i-use-32-or-64-bit-jvm
the whole NASDAQ infrastructure is written in Java so there is some sort of a contradiction here. NASDAQ is not the only one, the LMAX exchange is also completely written in Java. The whole speed bottleneck is something very rare nowadays (it was 3 years ago). Check the LMAX architecture and the Disruptor pattern (http://martinfowler.com/articles/lmax.html) when you get a chance. Also, read this blog http://mechanical-sympathy.blogspot.com/ . It's written by one of the authors of LMAX. This is high performance java at its finest.

I haven't done heavy duty java for at least 2 years so I'm sort of disconnected from the cutting edge but the problems that you are having, have been solved.

As an aside, the JVM is growing. It's extremely stable, fast and proven. Java has sort of stalled but new languages on the JVM are evolving like Scala and Clojure.

these are two different things. Do you want to do Data Science or you want to do Finance?

Not sure yet. I just like to have option.

If you want to do finance, what are you looking for?

Quant, Analytical or build financial model

C++ might not be the right answer and while some employers in Finance might like it, people from the Data Science camp are not too fond of it.

What other language do you suggest for Finance? JAVA?
How about for data science? Python,R?

Back