• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What else do I need to do in order to get in to a top program ?

I am currently going in to my junior year of college. I'm a mathematics major (BS) with a minor in economics finance. Before I graduate i project my math GPA about 3.6 or 3.7 and my overall a 3.7 or 3.8. furthermore, before i graduate i will have passed actuarial exams. P, FM, and MFE. I recently took my GRE and got a 800 quant 660 verbal.

Math courses include ( + those i will take before graduation). Calculus sequence, linear algebra, probability theory, theory of interest, stats, econometrics, stochastic processes, montecarlo simulation, numerical analysis, differential equations, derivatives pricing, derivatives pricing with matlab and math modeling.

Computer courses: intro to c++ and advanced programming in c++

experience includes working in a financial firm. marketing and equity: industry research, equity valuation models, financial statement analysis. basically. fundamental and quantitative stock analysis. some work with options hedging strategy.

Am i good candidate to apply out of college ? or should i take a few years work experience in the actuarial field like i plan and then apply. any other suggestions and welcomed.

I know that, i'm taking actuarial exams as a hedge against not getting in to MFE programs. so i can work a few years and build my quant skills before applying. but i'm not sure if i'm qualified to apply to a MFE program right after graduation. that's why i was asking for suggestions on what i can do to improve my chances.

I know that, i'm taking actuarial exams as a hedge against not getting in to MFE programs. so i can work a few years and build my quant skills before applying. but i'm not sure if i'm qualified to apply to a MFE program right after graduation. that's why i was asking for suggestions on what i can do to improve my chances.

In that case looking at your profile, and based on profiles of people i have seen in good mfe programs, i think you have an excellent opportunity at getting into one.

@Princeton Man:

If you are serious about becoming a quant, then don't spend too much time taking actuarial exams. I read your other post - it seems that you are thinking about attaining an ASA before applying. Beyond the 3 exams you have listed, the remaining exams to ASA are too insurance specific and would not be helpful for you if you are thinking about quant.

I am applying this year with my FSA and 3 years of experience in actuarial and risk management. I wasn't thinking of becoming a quant when I graduated from college that's why I went the actuarial route. I have gained some valuable experience consulting for clients all over including banks on Wall Street so I wouldn't regret going down this path. But if I were qualified to get into a top school from the beginning I would probably have just applied to quant programs directly.

Read some of the posts about Quants not being able to get work. Keep taking those actuarial exams, would be a good hedge if something doesn't pan out. Insurance might not be algo trading, but it isn't for math slouches.

@Princeton Man:

If you are serious about becoming a quant, then don't spend too much time taking actuarial exams. I read your other post - it seems that you are thinking about attaining an ASA before applying. Beyond the 3 exams you have listed, the remaining exams to ASA are too insurance specific and would not be helpful for you if you are thinking about quant.

I am applying this year with my FSA and 3 years of experience in actuarial and risk management. I wasn't thinking of becoming a quant when I graduated from college that's why I went the actuarial route. I have gained some valuable experience consulting for clients all over including banks on Wall Street so I wouldn't regret going down this path. But if I were qualified to get into a top school from the beginning I would probably have just applied to quant programs directly.

You're right, my previous post was mainly meant to project my qualification status after having completed the planned experience. I meant to have written that after the entire message but realized i didn't just now. Thanks for point it out and thanks for your view point.

I have done admission consulting for the NYU program so I'm more qualified than most in evaluating applications. That said, I really can't say much about your chance without seeing your whole profile.
Quite often, what people say here is not comparable when we have a whole package in front of us. You can spend months planning everything down to the little details but the admission people may spend a few minutes to decide your fate.
it's a given that most people applying will have seen the requirements and have met all of that so what admission people would spend a lot of time trying to determine if an applicant is doing this for the perceived money or else.
People in the first category have various ways to mask their intention but it comes out real fast. As the saying goes, there is no easy and quick money. It also applies to admission as well. Either you have it or you don't.

Target the programs that meet your criteria, whatever that may be. If you go to a program thinking it will extract you the most money quickly, you often will be disappointed.

Insurance might not be algo trading, but it isn't for math slouches.

I would say that the math involved in algo trading is very minimal in comparison with the math you might apply in the insurance industry.

Back