• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What features would you like to see on Quantnet ?

Can we embed videos in posts? I would really like to have that feature.

Instead of clicking on the links, I think it would be great if I could click a play button :)

Cluster Maps

One more cool thing that I came across is Cluster Maps. This lets the users know people from which region of the world are accessing the website. The admin always has the feature to see this but providing it to the users shows them the strength of the forum.

We used to have the video tags a while ago. I thought we would have much use for it but of the 40K posts on Quantnet, there are only a handful of them with video embedded.
The googlemap is something we can easily implement but there is something better coming out that includes the site stats as well.
Thanks for suggestions. Keep them coming. If there are some feature that benefit many of us, I'm sure we can make it work.

I'm not sure but I don't think the RSS feeds are working perfectly. Only new forum posts are updated. Can someone please confirm this (in case to the contrary, what modifications in the feed were needed) and Andy can we do something about this?

I don't use RSS a lot so I probably would miss if anything is not working. The RSS feed for Quantnet is at http://www.quantnet.com/forum/external.php
Open it with a browser with builtin feed reader (Firefox, IE 8) and it should show the latest threads.
Are you saying it should also show the latest posts i.e newest replies to old threads?

I'm not sure but I don't think the RSS feeds are working perfectly. Only new forum posts are updated. Can someone please confirm this (in case to the contrary, what modifications in the feed were needed) and Andy can we do something about this?

I just added a subscription to the feed via Thunderbird and I'm having the same issue. I only get the first post in each new thread - none of the replies, just the very first post.
'
The most recent post in my feed is "NYU Courant has 3rd Abel Prize winner in 5 years."

Good feedback about the RSS feed.
Now, when I use Firefox to read the feed at http://www.quantnet.com/forum/external.php?type=RSS2
I only get the first post in each new thread - none of the replies, just the very first post.
'The most recent post in my feed is "NYU Courant has 3rd Abel Prize winner in 5 years."
It shows the latest threads and the snippet of the first post on that thread but when I click on the link of the thread, it would go to the last post of that thread.

Is that how forum RSS feed supposed to work? I tried to go to a few sites that feature similar RSS feeds (ex http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/external.php?type=RSS2) and the behavior is identical.

Can anyone give me a link of some RSS that works differently?

How about a place where we can post news links. I am not sure how or what would accomplish that but I guess instead of creating a new thread everytime we can have a place to write an excerpt from the news and then post the link for a person who wants to continue reading.

Interesting idea. I guess what you want is a widget that you can post links to article you find interesting. Instead of thread after thread, we can have a list of articles people submit.
Is that the idea you have in mind?

Exactly. But instead of just a link or one line headline, we could post an excerpt from the news.

and yes, there could be a "comment" link where a person could post comment, which would not be directly visible on that page. If someone has to read the comments, he would have to click on that link. This way the place remains clean with just the news.

I really like that new bar on the bottom of the page; it's very facebook-ish.

A new section in the forum on Pricing and Hedging would be great

If there is a such section "Pricing and Hedging", I think I can bring friends too to help answering questions.

Back