• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What internship should I pursue this summer?

Hey, I'm currently a sophomore Statistics major and Econ minor at a top 15 public school. I have a good amount of coding experience and an internship running the databases and creating algorithms for a small crypto startup my freshman year. I am currently working as a software engineer intern for a private equity and I am looking to switch it up when summer time comes around. My options right now are:

1. To pursue an equity research research internship with a private equity where I can choose to work specifically with the employees who run some quant momentum models and learn some more tradition value investing strategies.

2. To pursue a data science internship that would involve working a bit with the ML team at a software consulting firm.

3. Continue the software engineering role i'm in now throughout the summer.

I would prefer to switch it up over the summer and learn something outside of software engineering, but I would appreciate any advice anyone could give as to what opportunity I should steer towards.

It's usually more beneficial during internships to work at different firms (to get more diversified experiences and can explore what you like to do/how you like the firm benchmarked to others) so I would probably not go with option 3. Option 1 and 2 depends on what your eventual career goal is; for ex. if you want to eventually work as a data scientist then probably go with option 2. Should also factor in the overall reputation of the firm - brand name of the company can help your overall profile if you're thinking of using the internship as a launching pad to your desired career.

Question, do you mean a long-short fund in part 1? I can't really see the connection between quant models and private equity deals. If anyone could shed some light on this, I would be interested.

But anyways. You are pretty young - any of this experience would look good on your resume. Seems like you are way ahead of the curve in terms of CV, I wouldn't overthink it. Do what interests you more.

Back