• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What is the initial salary and career progression of a C++ programmer?

Currently about to graduate with a BS in Computer Science and am wondering if there are any long-term career path benefits to specializing mainly in C++. I used this language predominantly throughout college and I gravitate towards it the most. What's the salary progression for someone starting out in C++ (can you even be a junior C++ dev?) and what's the outlook for a C++ programmer in the next 10 years in terms of compensation? I understand some C++ programmers make it onto hedge funds working on speed stuff, but am not sure if this is a reasonable, viable career path for an average performer who's not a math PHD.

I am unaware that professional C++ programmers can be differentiated by 11, 14, etc.

My college uses C++ 17 predominantly for assignments. And I've been wondering if C++ is something you can completely specialize your career towards.

I suppose each organization supports its code base in a given version of C++. Then you can have a policy to upgrade to next version of C++. Admin and technical organizational issues,

C++11 is a huge release; C++14 is a fix IMO, C++17 is stuff that Boost had for years and haven't looked at C++20 "Mostly "changes") yet (I use code that is shipping because life is too volatile otherwise).

The biggest gaping hole IMO is that C++ still does not support modules (aka dlls, assemblies)

Last edited:
And at the end of the day, it is the 20% of C++ in combination with develop design savvy that makes the difference.

Back