• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What more do I need

I will be graduating with an honors degree in applied mathematics this year from a major Canadian university. My degree is focused heavily on advanced numerical analysis and PDEs. Also have completed lots of courses in probability theory, stochastic clac, advanced calc and algebra. Have taken a few programming and algorithm building courses as electives.

GPA is 4.1/4.5. Major GPA 4.1/4.5. Have won 3 awards including highest academic acheivement in applied mathematics at my university 2 years in a row.

My work experience is mostly unrelated (worked just to pay for school,) but I did hold a summer research position where I worked under a professor analyzing error of several numerical methods. I worked near-full time hours throughtout my entire degree (30+/week.)

I do have very close relationships with a couple professors in my department and will be able to get great letters of recommendation from them.

I have self taught myself some finance on the side. I read books and financial news every day to keep up with fundamentals and current events and have studied several books on options pricing and interest theory for quantitative learning.

I'm looking to apply to several MFE programs next year, including Toronto, NYU, CMU, Columbia and Berkley.

How would my application rank among other applicants? I think I have a great education background for the program, but will my lack of work experience hinder my appliaction? What else could I be doing to improve my chances of being accepted?

Thanks for your time and feedback!

Last edited:
Knowing numerical analysis and PDE does not do any harm IMO. Nor the other stuff you did.
my 2 cents.

Can you programs in C++?

Last edited:
Many good universities in Canada are not well-known in the US. That can be somewhat a disadvantage when you apply to US schools. If your goal is a top school in the states, you should try to get a couple of years of work experience, and improve your programming skills. Are you from UM?

Not right now, but I plan on learning in the next few months
With your background and interests I would imagine that you would have chances in areas outside as well.

But learn to program like mad all those maths models :)

Many good universities in Canada are not well-known in the US. That can be somewhat a disadvantage when you apply to US schools. If your goal is a top school in the states, you should try to get a couple of years of work experience, and improve your programming skills. Are you from UM?

Yes Umanitoba

Back