• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What OS does quant use most frequently?

I wonder when you work in a bank or fund, what kind of OS do you use, Windows, Linux, or Mac?

I see many guys in IT company use Linux to develop something. While for a quant, what is the advantage if you are using Window or something else?

I wonder when you work in a bank or fund, what kind of OS do you use, Windows, Linux, or Mac?

I see many guys in IT company use Linux to develop something. While for a quant, what is the advantage if you are using Window or something else?
Excel?

Take this as a grain of salt since I'm still trying to get into an MFE program.

But the OS is not as important as the compiler and language and applications used.

Usually it's about getting an app or compiler to run code that is efficient and does the job and provides security.

What language it's written in matters less. If C++ fits the bill then that's what's used.

So mabye for example look at HFT and see that speed is of utmost importance so a language and OS allowing you to maximize instruction per cycle will yield theoretical fastest output.

Take this as a grain of salt since I'm still trying to get into an MFE program.

But the OS is not as important as the compiler and language and applications used.

Usually it's about getting an app or compiler to run code that is efficient and does the job and provides security.

What language it's written in matters less. If C++ fits the bill then that's what's used.

So mabye for example look at HFT and see that speed is of utmost importance so a language and OS allowing you to maximize instruction per cycle will yield theoretical fastest output.
Hi, I am also fighting for MFE.

I agree with you. We should use the right tool to achieve our goal. I am working on linux now. I use it for a while but still a green hand. I was suggested that in the world of linux, there are many free libraries, which is convenient when you are coding. I don't know whether the same thing happens in FE?

Back