• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What phone do you have?

half these phones I've never even heard of. having an iPhone just spoils a person. heh.

im thinking of getting a Samsung galaxy s ii. whats the best carrier for it?
I think that T-Mobile is the only carrier which provides Samsung Galaxy.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Phones/cell-phone-detail.aspx?cell-phone=Samsung-Galaxy-S-4G

I have been T-mobile subscribe for quite sometime, and I am just waiting for my contract to end so that I can switch to a different carrier. For the past year, I have been facing issues ranging from service disruptions to slower data transfer rates. Even though they claim to have 4G network, it's not quite there. I compared the data rates with AT&T and found out that T-mobile takes more than twice as much time to load a webpage or so. So, personally I wouldn't recommend going to T-Mobile service. I hope this helps!!!

AT&T, HTC Inspire, love the android.
My usage is sub 200MB, mostly text web pages (like this), some gmail (with some downloading small pdfs), some facebook, with some occasional map/gps data and sftp/scp specific files. I stay off the youtube unless I'm on wifi and I find I don't sweat.

It's usually neat, sometimes annoying when it just doesn't want to get the right word from you. Then again, I have one of the smaller android phones and a bigger phone would probably increase accuracy. Nevertheless, MUCH better than the slide out keyboards that android phones have. I used to have an android phone with one of those and ended up using the non-swype on screen keyboard most of the time because the slide out keyboard was that annoying.

Completely useless if you want to type in translit... :P

Can anyone with an Android comment on the Swipe keyboard? How long it took you to get good with it?
I use something called FlexT9 on the HTC Incredible. It's like Swype but on steroids. You can buy the app for 4.99 on the Amazon App Store. I got it for free with Amazon Market Paid App of the Day (Amazon Market gives you a paid app for free everyday).

FlexT9 is f...ing awsome!! You get used to it in no time. It has very good word suggestion and you can even write with your finger if you don't want to use gestures or type on the keyboard.

The thing I use most on my iphone (and I presume will be on the Droid as well) is the Skype app.
It's free and I barely use the actual phone service now as the vast majority of people I speak top on a daily basis use Skype.

I'd totally recommend it if anyone of you haven't tried it yet.

The thing I use most on my iphone (and I presume will be on the Droid as well) is the Skype app.
It's free and I barely use the actual phone service now as the vast majority of people I speak top on a daily basis use Skype.

I'd totally recommend it if anyone of you haven't tried it yet.

Skype is evil, as they use proprietary protocol and their call-out (to call from Skype app to regular phones) rates are rather expensive. There exist many providers for this sort of communication using standard SIP protocol, and most of smartphones have native support for SIP, together with integration with your address book etc. so that from the usage perspective these calls are initiated/answered just as regular calls on your phone, but with much better outgoing rates. Unfortunately, some mobile providers are blocking this type of traffic, and using SIP providers in general is a bumpy ride, so Skype practically taken the mass market.

cgorac - I don't use the skype to cell service, just the IM and Skype to Skype services.
Since everyone I know and work with uses it, it was a good solution and the app works well with the iphone.

Talking of SIP - have you done anything with Asterisk?

cgorac - I don't use the skype to cell service, just the IM and Skype to Skype services.
Since everyone I know and work with uses it, it was a good solution and the app works well with the iphone.

Indeed, seems like everyone and their grandmas have accounts and use Skype these days - as mentioned above, Skype guys did great job on grabbing the market.

Talking of SIP - have you done anything with Asterisk?

Not much: Asterisk is for cases you want to switch over your company phone infra-structure to SIP - I'm using SIP just as an end-user, so signing up with a SIP provider was just much simpler than setting up and running Asterisk on my own server.

Oh, and - if it was not clear from my previous post: SIP-to-SIP calls, even between different SIP providers, are free just like Skype-to-Skype calls.

I'm using SIP just as an end-user,

Ahh OK. I run an Asterisk PBX at my office. It's a great piece of software of you are interested in SIP.

I recently got this one: http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/ iPhone4. I have a high-speed access to the web from the local ISP. But don't much like it TBH despite its big memory. The reason I don't like it is that I have problems installing my custom made applications whether it's financial calculator or small data processing application. I'm thinking of Monotouch to be able to write iOS compatible apps on windows. Until then, the phone is a bit useless since I'm not very keen on graphics and multimedia features.

Come on @Tsotne, the iPhone4 is a beast ! I have one and I don't think I'll ever leave Apple when it comes to mobile phones !

suggestions on a blackberry from verizon?? i have been quite out of touch since my contract 2yrs ago??

Come on @Tsotne, the iPhone4 is a beast ! I have one and I don't think I'll ever leave Apple when it comes to mobile phones !

I like it too in terms of multimedia, high quality graphics, flexible and nice touch screen, etc.etc. but those features aren't what I'm interested in for mobile phones. I HAVE TO (whether I want or not) find financial calculator for example on the web to download and install which has been written for it. But I need to deploy my own version which is relatively low memory software but have to embark on significantly long way of converting windows made program to iOS.

Got the HTC Sensation 4G for myself and Samsung Galaxy 4G for my wife today.
Now, I realize why RIM is in so much trouble. My Blackberry felt like using a brick compared to this new Android.
Have it connected to my home Wifi and browsing the web is blazing fast. Father's Day special: 1 year of free data plan ($120 off).

Bye bye, Blackberry.

Got the HTC Sensation 4G for myself and Samsung Galaxy 4G for my wife today.
Now, I realize why RIM is in so much trouble. My Blackberry felt like using a brick compared to this new Android.
Have it connected to my home Wifi and browsing the web is blazing fast. Father's Day special: 1 year of free data plan ($120 off).

Bye bye, Blackberry.

I'm in need of a new phone too, I was recommended to get an HTC by two friends who own their products.
Problem is my brother used to work for TI and HTC was a customer, he told me that they had the lowest standards out of all their customers ,also my father had two HTC mobiles that went bust very quickly :(

I'm contemplating between:
Iphone - High quality but expensive and I hate their "you bought it but we won't allow you to do anything with it" attitude.
HTC - Mixed recommendations.
Motorola Defy - Having a robust phone is always good and it seem to be on par on other features.
Nokia with the new windows for mobiles - Nokia is turning to windows and I heard that the new windows mobile is very good, which is great since Symbian was their greatest and basically only flaw (huge one though).

Any thoughts?

Back