• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"What salary do you require?"

What I do is I give out the average salary number of Baruch MFE graduates for the past year.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43167213

Some interesting numbers on starting salaries...
"Four years ago, he says, quants (financial engineers with degrees) were looking at annual base salaries in the range of $85,000 to $90,000. But now Wall Street firms are paying graduate student interns that much, and quants are looking at starting base salaries more in the range of $200,000, he says."
"We assume that those seven who went to Goldman Sachs bumped the average up quite a bit."

Does the author live in the future?

CNBC is just reprinting an BI's article whose author took it from a UCB MFE press release.

The author did quote Quantnet's popular article "The coming glut of financial engineer" but there is no excuse for taking one "well-published" piece of data and extrapolate the average of salary for all MFE students.
If anything, the average should be much much smaller since majority of MFE graduate has no experience and will be compensated as such.

"quants are looking at starting base salaries more in the range of $200,000, he says."
In his dream, I'd say. 200K is more than double the average starting base salaries of numbers published by most MFE programs.

Andy, are you implying that a sample size of one is not statistically significant!? What kind of quant witchcraft is this!?!

I doubt that we can use UCB average as a standard for other programs, as the class at UCB is much more experienced than that at probably any other program. Those without work-ex already hold a Masters in engg or a PhD. Now for anyone without any work-ex to earn something like $150k-$200k one would probably hold a PhD in Math/Engg along with MFE from Berkeley.

Back