• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What to do on the train...

Hi guys!

I've been taking the train to and from Baruch a lot lately and often find myself bored on the train. It is difficult for me to read math or programming books without applying what I am reading so I needed something more substantial. I can up with an interesting idea and it worked out pretty well today!

1) Download a compiler app. I downloaded sourceLair (Android) for free. It compiles: C, C++, Objective-C, Fortran, and Pascal.

2) Purchase a small portable bluetooth keyboard from an eBay seller. (Ex. http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Portable-Bluetooth-Keyboard-PC-PS3-iPhone-C-/310252197494?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item483c78d676 )

3) Dropbox is a very useful companion to this. I keep my C++ programs from school in dropbox so I am now able to access, run, and/or edit them.

4) Program! :)

I ran a pretty substantial C++ program on my Droid Incredible this morning and it actually compiled and ran fater than my i7 PC!! :cool:

Enjoy!

just use your laptop to program lol! You have one of the smallest ones I've seen in a long time!

Lol. Yeah, but ever since my speech professor in undergrad "dozed off" with his $3,500 Sony I have been a bit scared to use expensive equipment on trains.

Leaves less in brain while reading programming books with no practicing on parallel. I usually read from my laptop and write recipes at the same time. Avoid reading while sitting in a moving object - train, bus, car, etc. Find listening devices for entertaining and killing time, it gives your eyes more power to read further long time once you get at the destination. ;)

Leaves less in brain while reading programming books with no practicing on parallel. I usually read from my laptop and write recipes at the same time. Avoid reading while sitting in a moving object - train, bus, car, etc. Find listening devices for entertaining and killing time, it gives your eyes more power to read further long time once you get at the destination. ;)
Tried it today. Not for me! I was sooo bored. Tried music and then listened to a 45 min seminar on using c++ to code Android apps. Still was dying of boredom. Eventually back to coding...

I do mostly 3 things on the train: sleep, read or code.

Back