• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What was your undergrad major?

Wallstyouth

Vice President
Just curious for all who are attempting to get into a MFE type program or currently enrolled what was your undergrad major?

I started and never completed a degree in Control Systems in Cuba. I did 4 years and then ran away from the country.

BS in EE from NYIT, 1998.

from the admission stats page for our program:
Majors - Students Admitted to the Financial Engineering MS Program
The makeup of our cohorts is varied. Although about two thirds of our students come from a mathematics, computer science, or engineering background, we have very successful students who come from more non-traditional backgrounds for financial engineering studies, such as humanities (music and classical languages, for example). The requirements for admission are not related to a specific major, but rather to the overall strength of the applicant.

follow this link to get more detailed stats on the background of our students:
Baruch College's Financial Engineering MS Program

best of luck!

B.S Print Journalism, University of Colorado, Boulder '93

Guess who had to go back and take ALL the pre-requisite courses?:tiphat:

Here is information re entering classes 2005/2006/2007

http://mfe.baruch.cuny.edu/student-profiles/
-V-

I think best is to have maths background with numerical methods, optimization, analysis, linear algebra, statistics and advanced calculus. Some smart guys can pick up maths easily even they do not have maths background.

However, if the course is taught in a compact mode I reckon a good preparation will help.

I think best is to have maths background with numerical methods, optimization, analysis, linear algebra, statistics and advanced calculus. Some smart guys can pick up maths easily even they do not have maths background.

However, if the course is taught in a compact mode I reckon a good preparation will help.

so what's your background?

smart

don't get me wrong. i have a friend who has just graduated with a MFE degree in Singapore from a non-math background. i mean these people are smart.:prayer:

so what's your background?

I was not aware of the fact that there were history and art majors in MFE :)

Does anyone notice the trend that majority of currently admitted students are science majors. We used to have history/art/music/law etc majors but it's rare now.

I am from finance : )

Back