• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Where do you live?

Hello people~

I m looking to apply a MFE in Baruch, but since i m out-of-state (out-of-country, in fact), i m unfamiliar with lodging options around the university. So, care to share where do you live? :)

Thanks in advanced~

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies, I have limited budget, so i would prefer to look in cheaper places.
If you don mind, would you share the conditions of your accomodation and transport ? Or that of any Baruch student, to help me estimate my cost of living?

Many thanks!

If the prices from above link are out of your range, check out other neighboring boroughs.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the repl, I have limited budget (i m from Malaysia, so, exchange rate.), so i would prefer to look in cheaper places.
If you don mind, would you share the conditions of your accomodation and transport ? Or that of any Baruch student, to help me estimate my cost of living
Thanks a lot for any help! :)

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the thread! And yes i m one of those paranoid about housing costs, especially seeing that its NY we r talking about.
So you would say (don worry no strings attached, i m just getting opinions) most people could survive on around USD 1000~1200 per month? Is that figure still applicable now?
i.e : would i still be able to find USD600/month apartments,get cell service for USD30, and internet service for USD20 now?

I digress, but you seem to have incredible memory for threads. :)

Thanks,
Angie

Angie,
you can definitely find a room for less than $600/month, if you don't mind sharing a house with roommates and commute from Queens. I used to live in the Kew Gardens/Forest Hills area, and would take the express train (board E in Queens and transfer to the 6 in Manhattan), it would take around 35 to 45 minutes, depending on the day. Check local NY craigslist for an idea how much these rooms go for. If you are frugal, you can definitely get by (granted it is a bit tight), on $1100 a month. Good luck
John

Cell service for $30 is possible if you go with something like MetroPCS I think. Maybe it is a little more or a little less. Internet service is also possible for $20 but it will be 768K from verizon. Slower than DSL but faster than dial up. I use that. It isn't as bad as it sounds. I survive knowing that I am paying $14 a month for internet.

Apartments for $600 should also be possible depending on how far you are willing to commute everyday. My tenants pay $850 for a living room and 2 bedrooms so if you are by yourself I'm pretty sure it is possible.

Transportation is $2.25 per ride on the train but that is subject to change. I heard someone say it might go up to $3 soon...

^__^ you guys are mad helpful, i ll check out these places and come back with questions, thanks.

Back