• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Where would you rank Baruch MFE with top programs ?

I found this thread by accident looking for a different topic. Interesting read.

I think Andy's approach is the correct one. Let's assume you were accepted at all top 4 NY programs (NYU, CMU, Columbia, Baruch). This is a pretty common case. How do you decide?

Well you build different categories along with their personal priority and an order in each category. The ordering is difficult to make especially with little information. I found it useful to talk to current students or alumni. No program will be the best in all, but you want to find the best for you.

The priority of each category is just as important as the ordering.
For instance, if you have a PhD or you want to pursue one or you already have a full-time position, your priorities may change.
Also, what are your strenghts? I believe a person should focus in these areas first, after that try to "mitigate" the weaker points. You may want to do only the Math and hate C++, or you may want to code every model. A few other "extremes" can be added here.

Three main academical areas provided by Andy are a good start.
You may also want to consider: employment statistics, program name, part-time student support(if relevant for you), student environment (collaboration is a must), proffessor communication, cost

Back