• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which books to get to learn databases design ?

roni

Cornell FE
All right,

I found an internship where database knowledge is required.
I was told that I can take a college course or learn it on my own. I figured I'll be able to do it on my own and was wondering if you guys could help me pick a book to start with.

This is what they told me to know:

- - SQL and relational database design
-- IIS
- - C#.Net, asp.net, html and css
- - Monitoring of .Net web applications

Looks like these are four different topics. Am I correct ?
Can I learn all of them (the basics of course) by reading one database designs book?
Can you please tell me where I should start ?

I will also need to program in C# (I know some C++ so this part shouldn't be a big deal) and I figured that this internship can be good for me to develop my programming knowledge before going into the MFE program, and I don't really want to miss the opportunity...

Thanks,
Roni

do you want to learn relational database design or just SQL?

IIS? IMHO, IIS is a piece of garbage but maybe things have changed since the last time I used it.

BTW, none of this has anything to do with finance.

do you want to learn relational database design or just SQL?

IIS? IMHO, IIS is a piece of garbage but maybe things have changed since the last time I used it.

BTW, none of this has anything to do with finance.
Looks like both SQL and relational database design.

I don't know if IIS is garbage or not, I just copied everything they wanted...

And, I know this internship is not related to finance, but it is related to programming (which is my goal in getting this internship)...

So, where should I start ?

Thanks.

For some reason I don't see them... weird...
gotta try a different browser...
thanks for the links...

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 AM ----------

you will be able to pick up standard SQL fast. Nuances of each database are going to be a different story. Optimization of queries, index design, etc, could be a challenge.

The same applies to DB design
If you want to learn DB tuning, I highly recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Database-Tuni...bleshooting/dp/1558607536/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_4
I see...
thank you for the help, I'll check this book out..

maybe talk to a local college about their database design courses and buy the textbooks they use to teach it.

For some reason I don't see them... weird...
gotta try a different browser...
thanks for the links...

For some reason I do not see anything either under the * Sql Programming section, and I am using the latest and greatest FireFox.

As far as the book goes, since they want you to know IIS and C# you'll most likely be using MS Sql Server. I have this book, it is very detailed and it covers absolutely everything, it's good for learning and reference. A lot of dba's are using it.

Amazon.com: Professional Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Programming (Wrox Programmer to Programmer) (9780470257029): Robert Vieira: Books

For some reason I do not see anything either under the * Sql Programming section, and I am using the latest and greatest FireFox.

As far as the book goes, since they want you to know IIS and C# you'll most likely be using MS Sql Server. I have this book, it is very detailed and it covers absolutely everything, it's good for learning and reference. A lot of dba's are using it.

Amazon.com: Professional Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Programming (Wrox Programmer to Programmer) (9780470257029): Robert Vieira: Books
I guess that's the ad blocker of FF, I can see them with IE.
And you are right, they said they are using MS programs...
And, the book you offered is for those with knowledge in SQL and databases, I don't think Im in this category (yet :\)

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

maybe talk to a local college about their database design courses and buy the textbooks they use to teach it.
good idea...
will go check it now...
thanks

Database Education

There is a fairly new site that is dedicated to database education (videos). It's konagora There is a free video on database design here (that said, don't expect much in 12 minutes, which is the duration of the video), and there is an SQL course for beginners that is partly free.
I've seen "The Art of SQL" mentioned in another post, the same author is behind the SQL course.

HTH

Back