• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which option models are used in the industry?

Hello all,

Although I have found some posts with similar questions, I haven’t found an explicit answer for this.

There are so many option pricing models out there (BS, Jump Diffusion, Stochastic Vol, SVJD, Rough Volatility, etc). Can anyone tell me what types of models are actually used by market makers, buy-side traders and other industry participants?

If the answer to this question is something like “it depends on what is your goal”, can you please elaborate further and state which type of models are used for each purpose?

Thank you.

I think the N:M:R:T question is too big to answer.

"Paul Wilmott on Quantitative Finance" Vols 1 to 3 is a good place to start.

Maybe start with 1 factor BS and take it from there.

Last edited:
Thank you, Daniel.

I am familiar with some of these from an academic standpoint. What I am actually wondering is: which models have left the paper and are actually being implemented by market participants?

It goes without saying that I have 0 industry experience with this. So I am just wondering what people are using.

Last edited:
Pretty much none -- BS to an extent, but with major grains of salt as people understand its massive limitations.

Will you tell Dan_BR-UK what *is* useful? I think you are not telling the full story.
That's fair. At the last firm I worked at the model had 3 layers - one was basically a "chopped up" version of Black-Scholes that allowed different strikes to be priced on different vols. The model allowed you to change inputs like skew, kurtosis, and upwards of 50 others. The 2nd layer was American Premium, which is separate from BS, and the 3rd basically reflected extra premium allocated to tiny options, between 1-3 deltas, but it also affected every other option's price a very little bit.

That's fair. At the last firm I worked at the model had 3 layers - one was basically a "chopped up" version of Black-Scholes that allowed different strikes to be priced on different vols. The model allowed you to change inputs like skew, kurtosis, and upwards of 50 others. The 2nd layer was American Premium, which is separate from BS, and the 3rd basically reflected extra premium allocated to tiny options, between 1-3 deltas, but it also affected every other option's price a very little bit.
Nice. Thanks.
It sounds that these are flexible software layers?

Back