• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which Quant Shops Hire Straight Out Of Undergrad?

The title says it all. I'm particularly curious in NYC non-trading positions (it can be related to trading but not trading positions themselves.) For example, do Two Sigma/DE Shaw/Citadel hire undergrads as quantitative analysts or no?

Of course, if you have something to say about non-NYC/trading positions, feel free to talk about it for the benefit of the QN community :)

I've always been one to go against the grain to get what I want but let's be logical here - one would have to be one heck of a magnificently unique snowflake to step directly into a quant analyst position at a tier-1 shop straight from u/g.

Not saying it can't be done, I've seen cases where it has. But having assisted a recruiter in identifying candidates for precisely such roles at these firms I can tell you with certainty that we were not seeking out undergrad candidates.

Further, there is the efficient sidewalk theory - any 20-year old candidate THAT good would likely have already been identified by some leading company, whether financial or not.

The title says it all. I'm particularly curious in NYC non-trading positions (it can be related to trading but not trading positions themselves.) For example, do Two Sigma/DE Shaw/Citadel hire undergrads as quantitative analysts or no?

Of course, if you have something to say about non-NYC/trading positions, feel free to talk about it for the benefit of the QN community :)

I know of a couple of such cases at DE Shaw; but they were a few years ago and the people were IMO gold medalists and Putnam Fellows. These places aren't gonna take your average Joe, especially not straight out of undergrad.

I know Citadel recruits at Harvard, MIT, Princeton, etc. for their entry level analyst internships (typically before your senior year of undergrad).

So they do, you have to be the best though.

Yeah, I was just curious as to what their general policies were since I saw quite a few full time and internship positions from said companies posted on the online career website for my university.

Further, there is the efficient sidewalk theory - any 20-year old candidate THAT good would likely have already been identified by some leading company, whether financial or not.

Just speculating here, but I would have thought folks who were that unique would have their universities clawing at them to stay on and do a Masters/Phd?

If you are that much of a smart cookie I would imagine, Harvard, Oxford, Yale, Cambridge, Stanford etc. would be offering you a free ride?

Just speculating here, but I would have thought folks who were that unique would have their universities clawing at them to stay on and do a Masters/Phd?

If you are that much of a smart cookie I would imagine, Harvard, Oxford, Yale, Cambridge, Stanford etc. would be offering you a free ride?

Well, between making millions on Wall Street and spending more time in school, which would you pick?

Well, between making millions on Wall Street and spending more time in school, which would you pick?

Sure I can see how a lot of people would take the money. But I'd argue there are people who wouldn't and the pursuit of some esoteric idea in physics which interests them and may yield a noble prize is also a driver.
If money was the only factor driving your career and education choice, then the whole country would be enrolled on courses aimed at Wall street.

Sure I can see how a lot of people would take the money. But I'd argue there are people who wouldn't and the pursuit of some esoteric idea in physics which interests them and may yield a noble prize is also a driver.
If money was the only factor driving your career and education choice, then the whole country would be enrolled on courses aimed at Wall street.
So go make millions, you'll still be smart (and now have much more money) and you can go get as many PhDs as you want. Win win.

Almost ALL quant shops hire a few exceptional people straight out of undergrad - some friends have been recruited to the firms you've mentioned in quant trading positions, from top schools (M H P W). One exception I've heard is Renaissance Technologies - I know a brilliant Columbia IEOR undergraduate who had secured an interview a few years ago, which itself was something to be proud of!

Back