• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which recommenders are the best?

Hello,
I'm currently in the process of applying for master's degree in FE. As you probably know, I need to provide 3 evaluators for recommendation letter. I have several potentials on my list, but I'm having a hard timing choosing the best ones.

Few words about my background: I'm an electrical engineer, with no official background in finance, but with several years of working experience. I also started a computer technology company of my own few years ago (that didn't last), together with partners.

These are the candidates:

A) a professor in my university. A recommendation from the Academia is good, but the thing is that he doesn't know/remember me personally (he taught me one course 8 years ago). Therefore his letter will just be a list of my official achievements, with no personal tone.

B) A professor who worked with us on starting the company. He has a very good profile as an evaluator (professor for statistics with academic record etc) but on the other hand, he wasn't my teacher, so I don't know how well he can testify on my academic abilities.

C) My partner in that same company. He is a great manager/businessman, but not the one who can say much about technology nor my abilities in that field.

D) Former Supervisor 1. My work in his team involved tons of math and computer programming. However, I don't feel like I excelled at the time under his supervision.

E) Former Supervisor 2. I did very well in his team, but my work there, although technological, was not directly connected to math or computer programming.

F) Former army commander. He has very good opinion on me, but he is no authority for testifying on technical/academic abilities, only for personality traits (such as management skills, teamwork etc)

So - what do you think? Which 3 would you choose?
I appreciate your help (and your patience in reading this).

You want recommenders that know you personally and can attest to your positive qualities honestly, having a big name recommender just listing your achievements is going to come off as fake in my opinion.

I would go with E and F. For the third I'm stuck between B and D; D would be good if he talked about your math/programming skills.

B can comment on your potential to learn and grasp difficult concepts and that's what they want in a MFE program. THIS IS OF COURSE, GIVEN THAT HE KNOWS YOU WELL. HAS WORKED WITH YOU PERSONALLY AND KNOWS YOUR WORK

C can testify to the fact that you're a self-starter someone who can get the job done whether it's learning a difficult concept, passing a test or finding a great job/starting a new company. That's another thing the MFE programs want. Students who are not just technical/math whizzes, but have soft skills and enough common sense to land a good job. And if they have the potential to start their own company... well the more the merrier. (i"d be careful with that one tho, cuz you are working together and so he should try to sound as unbiased as possible, even though that's almost impossible)

D ask him. Ask for his feedback and then decide. You could do this indirectly or directly ask him what he thought about your work while he supervised you. If he does not have much to say or says only general "niceties". Go for one of the other options.

If A doesn't know you and D does not have genuinely positive/relevant things to say. I'd go with what Connor said.

Recently, Tuck Business School provides some tips for applicants to its MBA program. I would say they do a good job of covering essential points. I highlight the key points.

Letters of recommendation - at Tuck, we refer to them as "Confidential Statements of Qualifications," or "CSQs". CSQs provide us with additional insight into your career success/potential, as well as your personal and professional strengths and weaknesses. The CSQ is the only part of the application not completed by the applicant themselves. Because the applicant isn’t writing the CSQ, sometimes they think that they don’t have much influence over the letter. This isn’t true. By picking the best recommenders to make your case and giving them some guidance, you can have a lot of impact on your CSQ.

Who to pick? Typically, we like to see CSQs from an immediate supervisor. Someone who has worked with you closely and can really speak to your work experience. The recommender doesn’t need to be the CEO or head of the company, especially if he/she has had little direct contact or interaction with you. It is more important to have someone who has worked directly with you than someone with an impressive title.

There are times that applicants don’t want their supervisors to know they are applying to business school. In these situations, a client, previous manager, or contact from an extracurricular organization can be a good option. However, if you are not providing a letter from your supervisor, we suggest you include an explanation in an optional essay so we do not assume that it is because you don’t have a good working relationship with him/her.

We do not recommend asking family or friends for a CSQ. If you work for a family business, and your supervisor is a parent, we suggest asking a client, customer, or non-family member in the organization to write a letter for you instead. Likewise, we do not recommend asking a professor to write the recommendation. We will know how you performed in the class from your grades, and professors are not usually in a position to provide insight into the areas we are most interested in learning about.

Once you have selected your recommender, you should ask that person two questions: 1) are you willing to write a positive recommendation for me? and 2) do you have the time to write a detailed recommendation? If his/her answer to either of these questions is “no,” you should find someone else to write on your behalf.

Preparing your recommender in advance is important. It should go without saying, be sure to give your recommender plenty of time to complete the letter by the school’s deadline. Then, I recommend taking them out for coffee to talk about your goals and reasons for getting an MBA. Spend some time reminding them of your recent performance reviews, and talk about your significant accomplishments. This will help them write a more compelling evaluation because they will have specific examples to use in support of their comments. Those detailed examples are important. Letters that are brief and state strong feelings either positive or negative without providing examples to support the comments aren’t very helpful. Just saying “Susan is a great team player” doesn’t provide as much insight as a letter that then supports the comment with a specific example.

Now, I am not saying that you should tell your recommender what to say. Obviously, we want an honest assessment of your skills. Occasionally, we will hear that a recommender asks the applicant to write the letter for them and they will sign their name to it. If this request is made of you, find someone else to write your recommendation. Make sure that your recommender is completing the Tuck CSQ form rather than just submitting a generic letter. We ask these questions for particular reasons and want to be sure we are getting the information we need.

Finally, be sure to thank your recommender (profusely!). Writing these letters takes a lot of work, particularly if you are applying to several schools. Show your appreciation, because you may want to use them as a reference again in the future.

Back