• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Who uses Latex?

Hi,

Who here uses Latex? I have never used it and I was recommended.
From what I looked up it's nice for having highly organized text segments that are low on equations.

It seem to be unfriendly if you have to write a large amount of complicated equations, or am I wrong?

Thanks,
Ohad.

Hi,

Who here uses Latex? I have never used it and I was recommended.
From what I looked up it's nice for having highly organized text segments that are low on equations.

It seem to be unfriendly if you have to write a large amount of complicated equations, or am I wrong?

Thanks,
Ohad.

I am. It seems unfriendly the first time you sit down to write something. It is very logical once you get used to it. I started off using LyX on top of Miktex. I don't know how good LyX is compared to other LaTeX editors but it worked for me.

It has been in use here from since 2007 ;)
http://www.quantnet.com/forum/threads/how-to-use-latex-on-quantnet.552/

Any technical website can't do without it. Latex is pretty easy to learn.

Well it still looks unfriendly for large amount of complicated equations.

Kind of like writing some matlab/c/whatever code by using the biggest one-liners you can instead of breaking equations into parts.

As I said, I never used it, just looking at it from the outside , but I'll probably give it ago soon when I'll write my thesis :p

Its great for longer reports where you dont really want to deal with all the structuring, it might not be as "pretty" as mathtype when writing the text itself, but except for forgetting a bracket here and there its not complicated, its also very flexible and has such a bit repository of symbols. I use word for anything 3 pages or less, but latex for everything else

Its great for longer reports where you dont really want to deal with all the structuring, it might not be as "pretty" as mathtype when writing the text itself, but except for forgetting a bracket here and there its not complicated, its also very flexible and has such a bit repository of symbols. I use word for anything 3 pages or less, but latex for everything else

Seems about right, I exaggerate, I'm used to writing equations in an annoying manner from Matlab.
Also, when I write my thesis I won't have all the derivation inside only the important equations so it won't be so much.

Is there any MathType to Latex converter? I have TONS of MathType material :)

Isn't Latex de facto standard in writing technical (math/physics) PhD thesis and papers? Or do people move to some other typesetting tool since the rise of SSRN?
I used emacs/Miktex during my PhD years but haven't used Latex much since.

I think that:

1.Word and Word add-ons have quite allot of new features that can do the job.

2.It depends on how much of a perfectionist are you/your supervisor.

Wouldn't you agree?

Ohad.

Yes, Sir! ... You are! [Don't take it personally tho! ;)]

Latex is MOSTLY helpful when you have to write long equations... and a lot of them...

We write all peer-reviewed journals in subjects that use a lot of equations (Physics/Math) in LaTex...

Isn't Latex de facto standard in writing technical (math/physics) PhD thesis and papers? Or do people move to some other typesetting tool since the rise of SSRN?
I used emacs/Miktex during my PhD years but haven't used Latex much since.

Completely correct.... :)

LaTex is our GOD! :)

I think that:

1.Word and Word add-ons have quite allot of new features that can do the job.

2.It depends on how much of a perfectionist are you/your supervisor.

Wouldn't you agree?

1) LaTex is much better than Word and Word add-ons; especially when you have to write a lot of equations...

2) In theoretical physics... I do not know a single person (under the age of 60) who uses Word to write papers/Thesis...

I thought all Top Tier University students used Latex in their Math Department.. My professor even said that in bigger universities if you hand your thesis or research paper in *.docx file they wouldnt even bother to look at it..Idk how true is that.. but yeah whatever atreides said is so true.. Its not hard at all..I learnt it just by looking at example files..never read a book for it..

Ive used almost nothing but latex for the last 4 years, (BSc engineering physics, now doing MSc applied math). Haven't heard of anyone in the hard sciences not using it, though the learning curve can be quite steep. If latex isnt working for you, try LyX instead

I used LaTex to write my thesis in maths - it's brilliant and I don't care what anyone says, its better than Word alternatives. Quit whining, learn the language, and be amazed at the results.

Latex? I still use sheepskin...

Dirty jokes aside, I like VimTeX. Have written my homework in LaTeX since jr year of college, much to the amazement of my professors.

I used LaTex to write my thesis in maths - it's brilliant and I don't care what anyone says, its better than Word alternatives. Quit whining, learn the language, and be amazed at the results.
Latex makes for prettier formulas and presentations, but I, personally, find it very inefficient.

Someone (a mathematician) once told me "when I see someone give a presentation and it's a powerpoint, I think 'amateur'. But anyone who latexes their homework is a madman..."

Not saying I agree (I'm closer to engineer than mathematician at heart... and that means whatever works - works well), but just throwing that out there... :p

Back