• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Why did you choose Quantitative Finance?

Academically & Professionally, what made you choose Quantitative Finance/Mathematical Finance/Financial Engineering?

Because I love numbers and games (and I don't just mean the video kind), and because the idea of being able to be a sole breadwinner for my future wife and kids is too good to pass up.

Was an options trader. Getting my MFE will hopefully open up many more doors for me.

Powerball's up to $160million...
yea but i like to pursue something will give me a better chance. powerball u must be really lucky to win that. and for somereason, in the past, its only couples that end up winning. and those who won end up filing for bankruptcy years down the line.

I find the math and it's applications interesting...

Plus there is that whole competitive aspect of it.

yea but i like to pursue something will give me a better chance. powerball u must be really lucky to win that. and for somereason, in the past, its only couples that end up winning. and those who won end up filing for bankruptcy years down the line.
Yes, but they were going about it all wrong. I read in the paper last year about a guy who won the lottery, spent all of the money and then won again! ... and then he spent all that money... and won AGAIN. How cool is that?

He finally retired and move to Florida.

In addition to an interest in the markets, I enjoy math, and want to be able use it for practical applications.

I realize that there may be professionals and academics of future prospective employers/academic institutions trolling these forums and I would like to say, quite honestly, that this is not about the money for me. It is about my love of mathematics and the financial markets, as well as an undying commitment to serving the community by finding an efficient allocation of capital in the economy. Additionally, I want to provide liquidity as best I can to help my fellow financial engineers and contribute to the academic debate on college campuses.

:D

In my case, it is just to make enough money to retire so I can study my true passion: physics

I'm here hoping to get money out of my interest in energy, which is the bulk of my profile, but I'm not entering any rat race while doing things at my pace and pleasure

finance is the same as poetry: nobody says it's for the money and nobody says it's for immortality... being an oldie compared to many here, allow me to say that some kind of desperation is needed to pursue both

All due respect, what's keeping you from pursuing your "true passion" now? Or are you hoping to pull a Kronecker?

Well, many of my physicist friends after completing their phd now works in finance. I'm disgusted by that but hey, physics doesn't pay much. So, I'm doing the opposite.

And this does not mean that I do not like the financial world. Au contraire, I actually opened my 1st bank at the age of 7 and made enough money so by the age of 12, I paid my own airplane ticket costs to move from N-Africa to N-America. ;)

Well, many of my physicist friends after completing their phd now works in finance. I'm disgusted by that but hey, physics doesn't pay much. So, I'm doing the opposite.

And this does not mean that I do not like the financial world. Au contraire, I actually opened my 1st bank at the age of 7 and made enough money so by the age of 12, I paid my own airplane ticket costs to move from N-Africa to N-America. ;)

I like your outlook, but I hope you gave your depositors their money back first before skipping the country. Otherwise that is called embezzlement...and embezzlement is bad.

I like your outlook, but I hope you gave your depositors their money back first before skipping the country. Otherwise that is called embezzlement...and embezzlement is bad.
embezzlement is baad...mmmkay.

Back