• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Why isn't there any discussion about Stanford Financial Mathematics?

I have no opinion. I have not have had any of them work for me. I'd like to get to know some so I can assess the program.
well, then according to the guys who have worked for you, which program do you think is good? or it just depends on individual

I have no basis for comparison. I don't know anyone who has hired one.
I've hired many NYU grads, some of them my students. My point is that the Stanford program is fairly new and fairly small.
School reputation in and of itself is of limited use. I base my opinion on the quality of the grads. I have a good opinion of some "second tier" programs because of some of their grads. Similarly, I have less favorable opinions of other major programs because of their grads.

I have no basis for comparison. I don't know anyone who has hired one.
I've hired many NYU grads, some of them my students. My point is that the Stanford program is fairly new and fairly small.
School reputation in and of itself is of limited use. I base my opinion on the quality of the grads. I have a good opinion of some "second tier" programs because of some of their grads. Similarly, I have less favorable opinions of other major programs because of their grads.
Then top tier program doesn't guarantee top tier grads, right? I'm currently a graduate student in China and planing to apply for MFE program in 2013, your opinion is of great help then. Thanks a ton!

Then top tier program doesn't guarantee top tier grads, right?
The answer to this should be blatantly obvious. There are bad apples from every "top" programs and there are very bright, top quality people from public, state programs. People have different reasons, preferences why they go to a program over others.

Realize that many MFE programs have a flawed selection process where they don't interview candidates but rely upon their grades. (Do you know of any top MBA programs that admit students without interviewing?) As a result, many applicants with high scores get in who have troubles adapting to the new culture and new teaching style in the US. Some of them only socialize with their own ethnic group, speaking their own languages. Hence, they do not benefit as much as people who take full advantage of the new opportunities available to them.

Now, back to the Stanford program, you should not have to face the lacking info problem in this age and date. Send the program an email asking for all the relevant information so you can learn more about the program. Go to LinkedIn and contact each and all Stanford MSFM alum.
The program should be more than happy to answer all of your queries. If they are not, apply elsewhere.

The answer to this should be blatantly obvious. There are bad apples from every "top" programs and there are very bright, top quality people from public, state programs. People have different reasons, preferences why they go to a program over others.

Realize that many MFE programs have a flawed selection process where they don't interview candidates but rely upon their grades. (Do you know of any top MBA programs that admit students without interviewing?) As a result, many applicants with high scores get in who have troubles adapting to the new culture and new teaching style in the US. Some of them only socialize with their own ethnic group, speaking their own languages. Hence, they do not benefit as much as people who take full advantage of the new opportunities available to them.

Now, back to the Stanford program, you should not have to face the lacking info problem in this age and date. Send the program an email asking for all the relevant information so you can learn more about the program. Go to LinkedIn and contact each and all Stanford MSFM alum.
The program should be more than happy to answer all of your queries. If they are not, apply elsewhere.
Cool~Thx

Back