• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin Why so many people apply MIT MS Finance this year?

Wow. It was really up to 900 applications? MIT's MFin program must be doing phenomenally well to have that much of an increase in only the second year.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Andy, question. The application tracker lists the "top 5 schools" Where is this ranking gotten from/how is it calculated? Where does MIT Sloan fall?

Would be really nice if you guys add your timeline to the Application Tracker. That would help future applicants to get a good estimate of how long it takes.

Less stress = world peace.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

What were the interviews like? Did anybody here get one?

Wow. It was really up to 900 applications? MIT's MFin program must be doing phenomenally well to have that much of an increase in only the second year.

The expectations are high and of course the school brand name is strong.
However it is a bit of a problem to say that program is phenomenal with no history. Wait another 3-5 years and then it can be ranked ...

Granted that some of it is probably attributed to the brand name, the fact that it increased by almost 6-fold suggests that the first year must have been a success, otherwise we would see similar numbers both years... especially with all of the economic worry and it being such an expensive program, I would be surprised to see so many people willing to dish out that kind of money if they didn't know the program was going to be a hit.

The expectations are high and of course the school brand name is strong.
However it is a bit of a problem to say that program is phenomenal with no history. Wait another 3-5 years and then it can be ranked ...

Granted that some of it is probably attributed to the brand name, the fact that it increased by almost 6-fold suggests that the first year must have been a success, otherwise we would see similar numbers both years... especially with all of the economic worry and it being such an expensive program, I would be surprised to see so many people willing to dish out that kind of money if they didn't know the program was going to be a hit.

I am not trying to downplay, but how can you define success in one year?

The students haven't even graduated so we cannot talk about employment statistics. Obviously no alumni working in quant finance. There are no academic contests/olympiads dedicated only for MFE students.

The only thing that can be an indication of success, is to start with an exceptional faculty. Of course we would assume that most of them would have taught similar courses in other programs so they have experience with the curriculum. Otherwise, it takes a couple of years to build an outline for any class.
As mentioned, wait another 3-5 years and then you can have a clear image ...

justnil said:
Just FYI,
Almost all of us got jobs
Actually most of us got offer(s) by December

can you do the quantnet MS program review? The most people know about the program is that it costs $70,000...

A quick question to the current MIT MFin students...

From the students that have job offers, how many are international students?

I've been accepted to the MIT MFin for 2010 but I am worried that I will graduate and not get a job (in the US) due to the fact that I'm an international student (i.e. no green card).

I'm tempted to take LSE MSc Finance as a safer option, as in the UK you are granted a 2 year work permit on graduation.

This doesn't really sound like it will be a problem. MFin students get access to all of the same placement resources that the MIT Sloan MBA students receive. And this program has already published employment reports and has a well established history...so if they can find MBA students jobs, I think they will be able to find jobs for MFIN students as well.
I also have a feeling employers will see "MIT" and not care about where you came from before that.

A quick question to the current MIT MFin students...

From the students that have job offers, how many are international students?

I've been accepted to the MIT MFin for 2010 but I am worried that I will graduate and not get a job (in the US) due to the fact that I'm an international student (i.e. no green card).

I'm tempted to take LSE MSc Finance as a safer option, as in the UK you are granted a 2 year work permit on graduation.

Transcript of the chat between MIT admission staff and prospective students of MFin program.

Attachments

• MIT_chat.pdf
    795.6 KB · Views: 328
I think you will see application really increase once they post their 2nd class placement stats. I know the application stats for a variety of programs and 750+ is not uncommon. Every school I am in touch with has seen a large jump in applications. More the merrier I suppose.

MIT is very expensive though.

Based on information I got from an applicant who was denied admission for round I, the decision letter stated that around 900 applicants applied and only 65 seats are available. I think the 900 is for both round I and round II combined, which is about the same as last year. For round I about 80 candidates were admitted.

I have created a facebook group "MIT M.Fin. Class of 2012" to allow students considering/accepted the MIT offer to be connected and share information about the program and life in Boston. PM me if you are interested in joining or access the group using the following link.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_142218539174099#!/home.php?sk=group_142218539174099&ap=1

Back