• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

will the CFA be helpful to quant?

I wonder if I should take it during the study period.

Is it helpful for finding job and career development?

Thanks

Search this forum for CFA related threads, this has been discussed before. Members here will be glad to help with further questions.

But to answer it once again:

No. CFA=for financial analysts in big banks. Quants=R&D, or working in small funds, where they don't give a damn about any exams, but how smart you are.

It has been the common belief that taking the CFA L1 would compensate for one's lack of finance experience or to show interest in. In fact, UCB MFE program often asks its applicants to take the L1 exam before making decision.
The direct benefit of CFA L1 in finance engineering is not clear. The time and cost of the exam is not trivial so one should have an idea of what they intend the CFA for.

Absolutely. And in my opinion, clearing the intermediate stages alone has no tangible benefit. If you plan to invest in it, make sure you intend to see it through.

Back