• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Working at Goldman Sachs London for a female professional?

Hello all,

I'm grateful if you could help me with my questions. Recently, I got an offer from Technology division, Goldman Sachs London for a position of Java analyst developer at Middle Office.

OK, here is something about myself first. I am a young female professional, I want to work as a developer and grow my career in technical route (don't want to move to business route). I am good at programming and working with numbers.

I did some research on the Internet, such as Glassdoor, QuantNet, Linkedin Forum, Wiki Job, etc. I notice that working hours at GS is long requiring weekend and late nights sometimes and competition of promotion is fierce. GS also requires constant and continuing good performance over years otherwise you could be in 10% at the bottom to be sacked. There also certain amount of politics and beauracracy influencing our appraisal. Given those info, I would like you have some insight looks, comments, discussions and recommendations from all you guys, especially who have experiences at GS about:

1. How much does politics influence on the appraisals at GS?
2. I am young female at the moment. I do not have plan to have baby now, but I think I will want to have babies in the next few years. Is GS supportive to working mums? How do GS female employee handle their jobs at GS and their little babies without being sacked due to perfomance?
3. Is it possible to have a job at GS and have a little baby to take care at the same time?

I would appreciate any comments you guys could give me. Thank you!

Politics are everywhere, you really can't escape them. I think whether you plan to stay at GS or not the experience will be great (cv builder).

I read an article once about a female president I think it was at GS, from my understanding they are fairly supportive of mothers as long as you perform and show dedication to the firm.

So long as you perform okay, you should be fine. After you get a few years experience, you will find many companies are quite happy to let IT employees work from home. So you only need to go to office for a couple of hours on Friday.

so you want to be a mum and spend time with your kids and hubby and work at Goldman at the same time? I don't see how you will manage to do that. GS is not the best place to work if you value family above money.

Back