• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2 years out of college, what can I do now to increase my chances of getting into a top program?

Hi All,

I graduated 2 years ago from a top-50 US school, (Not a great ivy league or anything..) with a bachelors degree in Math. Since then i've been working in management consulting, with a focus on time series modeling and applied statistics in risk management. I can code well in C++, and I am well educated in capital markets and finance.

My fear is that my recommendation letters wont be stellar. I have one math professor from my school where I got the top grade in the class, but besides that I didnt really push myself to do the best in every class even though I got mostly As and B+s in my math classes. I will have great letters from my managers from my current work experience.

I'm wondering what I can do now before I apply to increase my chances of getting into a top program. I see tons of high GPA, GRE, and experienced candidates getting rejected on the trackers so i'm curious what these people are missing.

Thanks!

tldr; What can I do to stand out, beef up my resume, what are schools looking for beyond good grades and abilities?

It's just very competitive. The acceptance rates hover around 10%, so it's normal that many highly qualified candidates get rejected.

You should try to get at least one academic recommendation letter, especially because you are only 2 years out of school.

Join SQA, IAFE and go to their events; contact current students/alumni of the programs you are interested in (hint: there are many of them here on QuantNet), and go to campus info sessions / campus visits.

Back