• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE 2008 Refresher Courses.

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have the schedule of 2008 Refresher courses.

What is the start date of the first refresher course?

If you already know C++, I would start by getting Mark Joshi's book. It's likely used in the refresher and the Fall course.
If you are C++ beginner, I would start with Walter Savitch.
The links to the books are in Master reading list for MFE - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

The list of required books for Summer 2008 will be posted soon but for reference purpose, here is for 2006

If you already know C++, I would start by getting Mark Joshi's book. It's likely used in the refresher and the Fall course.
If you are C++ beginner, I would start with Walter Savitch.
The links to the books are in Master reading list for MFE - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

The list of required books for Summer 2008 will be posted soon but for reference purpose, here is for 2006
QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

Which book of Walter Savitch?

it gives me a page which says "you do not have enough permissions to view the page"

Any suggestions what might be wrong ?

Oh, my bad. Here is the copy and paste version of it
Below are the required texts for the Summer 2006 refresher courses.

C++ Refresher Course
  1. C++ Programming: With Design Patterns Revealed, by Tomasz Muldner,
    Publisher: Addison Wesley, 2001
    ISBN: 0201722313
    $72.00 at Amazon
    Note: The same book is going to be used for the MTH 9815 course in Fall 2006
Advanced Calculus Refresher Course
  1. Calculus and Its Applications (10th edition) by Larry J. Goldstein, David I. Schneider, David C. Lay
    Publisher: Prentice Hall; 10 edition (March 26, 2003)
    ISBN: 0130466107
    $120.00 at Amazon
  2. Options, Futures and Other Derivatives (6th Edition) by John Hull
    Publisher: Prentice Hall; 6 edition (June 10, 2005)
    ISBN: 0131499084
    $158.99 at Amazon
Probability Refresher Course
  1. None required. Recommended as a reference text.
    First Course in Probability, A (7th Edition) by Sheldon Ross
    Publisher: Prentice Hall; 7 edition (May 18, 2005)
    ISBN: 0131856626
    $114.40 at Amazon
Linear Algebra Refresher Course
  1. Linear Algebra with Applications by Steven J. Leon
    Publisher: Prentice Hall; 6 edition (January 15, 2002)
    ISBN: 0130337811
    $114.67 at Amazon
  2. Options, Futures and Other Derivatives (6th Edition) by John Hull
    Publisher: Prentice Hall; 6 edition (June 10, 2005)
    ISBN: 0131499084
    $158.99 at Amazon

For the 2007 Advanced Claculus refresher, the book by Goldstein et al will be replaced by the math primer book.

Can I go to the refresher course for free?

Yes, if you paid for the first time, and you like it so much and would like to take it second time :)
Kidding. Actually, we all paid for the refresher, and it's worthy and helpful. But if you can talk Dan into letting you take the refresher for free :) just try it. Good luck.;)

Dates for the Summer 2008 Refresher Courses

See: Masters in Financial Engineering (MFE) - Baruch College

C++
Dates: June 3 - June 26, 2008
Meets: 6-9pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays

Advanced Calculus
Dates: July 14 - July 24, 2008
Meets: 6-9pm, Monday thru Thursday

Probability
Dates: July 29 - August 7, 2008
Meets: 6-9pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays

Linear Algebra
Dates: August 11 - August 21, 2008
Meets: 6-9pm, Monday thru Thursday

Summer 2008 Refresher Courses - Online?

Will Summer 2008 Refresher Courses be Available Online for those who can't be on the campus at that time? Thanks.

Yes, you can participate online. Homework, assignments of all refresher courses will be posted online and made available only to admitted students.
This allows admitted students oversea who can't join the refreshers to participate. However, nothing beats being the classroom, meeting the fellow classmates and hanging out with them after class.

Can I go to the refresher course for free?

The brief answer is no. More importantly, the refresher courses are closed to people who were not admitted in the Baruch MFE program.

(To address Maggie's post- it is true that, if you paid for a refresher course once, you can take it again without paying for it again :))

Back