• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2009 Goldman Sachs bonus: $700,000/employee

Some employees were denied bonus at Goldman Sach

So much is talked about Goldman Sach bonus payout.
There are some people like us who did not get anything even after putting best efforts at Goldman Sach. Just harassment is just one word, when we tried to fight back?

Can anybody suggest what we should do? Few are getting in millions & people like us are not getting anything. Is there any legal way to get back our bonus?

When all the people worked as a team in developing a complex system & wrote the software. Some of the team members got the bonus & some were simply dumped. During testing phase, everybody appreciated teams effort but while paying out the bonus few were left out.Some of the left outs were so depressed that they left the jobs & some of my colleagues are fighting hard to come out of depression.

I am having all the mail details of my work progress of every week. Can anybody suggest, how I should proceed to fight back to get back my well deserved money. Can anybody suggest a legal procedure to fight this in justice & harassment.

if it wasn't guaranteed then of course not. i guess your department was not very profitable hence no bonus.

& some of my colleagues are fighting hard to come out of depression.

LOL goldman employees fighting hard to come out of depression? this is pathetic.
they were so used to getting big dough that when they didn't they got broken down.....poor bankers :(
...if those guys are deeply depressed then what would ordinary Jack who worked on an auto plant and lost his job should do then? shoot himself?

Reality is far different, just looking at the salary figures of some big fishes, don't judge

LOL goldman employees fighting hard to come out of depression? this is pathetic.
they were so used to getting big dough that when they didn't they got broken down.....poor bankers :(
...if those guys are deeply depressed then what would ordinary Jack who worked on an auto plant and lost his job should do then? shoot himself?

What is in your contract? There's unfair, and then there's 'illegal'. While it sucks you may have avenues via emotional hardship or pyschological discrimiation if you can establish how some were rewarded in the group and not others, hthis guy seems to have a few articles on relarted issues on 'due' bonuses. New York Employment Attorney - New York City Business Litigation Attorney -

But was there any actual agreement to what your bonus would be at all? verbal or otherwise?

Why haven't you contacted actual qualified legal counsel, if you feel this is your recourse?

The random walk of my career has led me to interact occasionally with the PR staff at banks, and there is cultural issue here.

A retail bank likes to announce happy stuff about new products, creating jobs, etc. Most of which is stolidly ignored by the press. They occasionally act as fire-fighters when a screw up threatens to hurt the brand.

But investment banks don't market much to the public, who really don't care about them, at least until recently...
They have a bunch of talking heads who say wise things about why the currency is going up or down, M&A etc on business TV, and PR's job is mostly to get them on TV. But apart from that, a week when their bank does not appear in the media is a good week. Their job is to smother stories, and they are no in any way proactive.

People sometimes wonder why my name is to be found in so many varied media, some unkind people even claim that there are people who know better. This was true, even when I did totally different things and was a wage slave. Fact is that at any large firm your contract of employment explicitly forbids you from talking to the media. I was once Test Director at PC Magazine, and I thought it quite funny that my contract explicitly forbade me from talking to journalists.

At non-banking firms, people who are authorised to talk to the press and top level execs get good training in being on camera, and are briefed on individual interviews by a professional.

It's quite clear to me that GS and other Wall Street execs seem only to have been prepped by lawyers, good / expensive lawyers, which is necessary but as we've seen, far from sufficient. I would bet money that in the 48 hours before they appear on TV to defend their actions they spend more time with the person that cuts their hair than their PR.

Talking to the press is really quite tricky. Back when I was running a gang of quants and developers developing a trading system, Britain's most left wing newspaper (The Guardian) interviewed me on nepotism in banks. Obviously they'd have preferred someone more famous at a bigger firm, they got me because no one else would go on the record. That was much harder work than merely handling arguments between the quant and dev teams.

GS can afford the best PR people, and I think it has them. But they are the wrong PR people for the task, and I am not sure that one could easily find the right people.

GS could give some lump of money to help Pakistan, but of course there is a chance that the money ends up in the hands of terrorists, and of course it's such a corrupt place that money given to it's government is largely wasted.
The culture of IB PR is to see that risk, and that's enough to stall big gestures.

There are some good stories in GS. Remember that in the real world, $200K per year is a big income. There are a vast number of people from poor backgrounds, who belong to every minority who now make good money. That's true of IBs in general, I know one extremely successful banker who was basically a street criminal who wised up.
I read resumes for a living, and I know that many reading this will have backgrounds which are in no way privileged.

Those are great human interest stories, which would help GS (or ML or JPM or whatever) present a human face. Most of us who've made our way up in this industry feel occasional pride when we look at the gap between what they might have been and what they are.
That's great material, a given the interest in banks would be "serious" journalism but also pretty popular.
Will never ever happen.

GS could do something where staff charity donations are matched by the firm for some generally accepted good cause. Not cheap, but tax deductible. Not only won't it do that, but the respectable amounts of money if gives away seems to be more secret than the details of it's prop trading strategies.

ICAP, smaller, but with better PR has charity giving of such a high quality that it gets Prince Harry (Princess Di's son), and Elton John to pitch up at their offices at Xmas. Been there when they've done it, quite a hoot.

But to run this properly their PR would have to engage with the press, and most IB PRs have burned their bridges with individual journalists. In the real world of PR, there are favours given in both directions. A good PR will actively look around their firm for genuinely interesting stories, and feed them to specific journos to build up goodwill.

Also, it's worth understanding that the bulk of journalists are freelancers, who typically are paid by the word. That means research is unpaid work, and when they've spent the time doing it, they want to get as many articles from it as possible. If you make it hard for a journalist to do his job you are costing him money, and if you help him you are in effect paying him.
That's true to a large extent for staff journalists, their visible productivity is words on the page / screen. So you can smother a story by making life difficult for a hack, but the better way is to give him something to write. Bank PRs nearly always go for smother, and so have no friends.

GS PR is not worse than other banks, but it's quality of PR is below that required for the environment.

Women Sue Goldman, Claiming Pay and Jobs Bias

I tried to show the other side of Goldman Sach, now the women who have worked for years finally sue the company. Hope, people will understand the work culture & review process at Goldman Sach, which made some extremely brilliant people to face depression.

Back