• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2009 Interactive Brokers Collegiate Trading Olympiad

Doug, You could look at it optimistically..... Interactive Brokers expect you to place and they need the ss# on file for the 1099!!!

You're right... it's the same philosophy as the Nigerian princes! Which is why I err on the side of openness with my personal information (can't get if you don't give a little!)

What's the most convenient way for a first semester MFE student to prove to IB that he is a student at Baruch?

They list these options:
------------------------
You are required to provide proof that you are a student. You may submit any one of the following documents, which must be on official school letterhead and less than one semester old. The document must clearly state your name and student ID:

• Grade report
  • Transcript
  • Course registration form
  • Official note from the Registrar
  • A letter from a school official stating that you are currently enrolled
------------------------------
I'm sure any of them will work, but I'm also sure that some are much more of a hassle than others. Unfortunately, I currently don't have any forms that contain my student ID number.

Thanks.

Folks: I would be happy to help with basics of the Interactive Brokers API if there is interest.

Cheers,

Prof. H.

IB help

Hi, I am residing in India and currently computer science sophomore & my application has been accepted for Ib .
I have few queries

1 which strategy is more safe making, algos for intraday trading of futures or carefully selecting trending stocks and betting on them?
2 as now a days markets are experiencing unprecedented volatility if this kind of market movements will continue till march '09 then i bet only lucky guys :-ss??

I hope you guys will help me.
THnx.:tiphat:

Of the MFE students who are doing the competition, are you all going to use C++, or will some of you use something different, like Excel?

-carl

Of the MFE students who are doing the competition, are you all going to use C++, or will some of you use something different, like Excel?

-carl
I think that Ill use C++. Just started going over their guideAPI reference guide, which doesn't looks too complicated, although there is alot of work to do...

Shlomi, did you download the C++ sample code? I looked at it. It was a little overwhelming. I'm trying to do something really simple, so hopefully I won't need to use all of that.

Not yet, I plan to do it tomorrow...

Strategy

Anyone care to speak roughly about strategy? I'll be employing a forex strategy based on machine learning this year.

I remember Gus mentioned before that there is a usergroup on Yahoo or elitetrader that you can download turnkey software package to use for this competition. The point he made was that use little time for the software, coding part and spend most of your time on the back testing, strategy brainstorming.

If anyone knows the link to the usergroup, feel free to post.

Anyone care to speak roughly about strategy? I'll be employing a forex strategy based on machine learning this year.

I am religiously listening to what Jim Cramer says and doing the exact opposite.

:D:D:D

I remember Gus mentioned before that there is a usergroup on Yahoo or elitetrader that you can download turnkey software package to use for this competition. The point he made was that use little time for the software, coding part and spend most of your time on the back testing, strategy brainstorming.

If anyone knows the link to the usergroup, feel free to post.

The Interactive Brokers site has pretty good doc, look on the bottom of this link for the C++ notes. There is excel/vba and java links on the same page.

http://individuals.interactivebrokers.com
/en/p.php?f=programInterface&ib_entity=llc

DlgShareAllocation

I'm trying to run the C++ sample program, but I get a message that the DlgShareAllocation.cpp file cannot be found. If I remove that file from the list of source files, I get error messages that there are unresolved external symbols related to CDlgUnderComp.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

Is the path to the file correct? Did you copy the file to the project directory?

Is the path to the file correct? Did you copy the file to the project directory?

I do a search for the file but cannot find a C++ file by that name (although there are a couple VisualBasic files with the same name). Have you gotten the sample to run in C++?

Also, when I try to follow instructions 1-4 in "Linking to TWS using the TwsSocketClient.dll" in the API reference guide I get a ton of syntax errors in the EWrapper.h and EClientSocket.h files. Anyone know what causes that?

Back