• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Acceptance Rates for MFE programs

Do you have admission statistics for Cornell?

.... 5.6% acceptance rate?

MBA admissions rate
Stanford - 6%
HBS - 12%
Wharton - 13%
MIT - 13%
Stern - 13%
Columbia - 15%

So how come MFE average starting salary is still lower? :(

It's really not comparative on both counts. Top MBA programs receives thousands of applicants while the most any MFE program receives is just a bit over 1,000.

MBA students at those programs are mostly people with several years of work experience so after MBA, they are expected to make a lot more, hence justification for the high tuition. At Harvard, 66% of the class are US citizen. In any MFE program, you will get more international students with no prior work experience.

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/class-statistics/

So the answer for your question is clear.

So.... let's increase the w/e requirement and accept more domestic students?

But how does accepting more domestic students do anything? The placement stats would increase, but only because people could legally work much easier. These are only averages. The work experience would maybe lead to higher salaries, but also consider that sometimes with an MBA you are just moving up the corporate ladder and not necessarily adding a ton of new skills, whereas presumably with an MFE you are learning the skills required for the job and will start at a lower position. Otherwise if you had the skills, why even do an MFE?

I like to hear how you would go about getting more domestic students who are equally qualified academically as their international counterparts. Remember we are talking about MFE degree where math/programming/engineering background plays a huge part.

For one, you need to encourage American students to pursue quantitative undergraduate degrees... :s
----
Also, MFE serves a very different purpose than MBA. Maximizing starting salaries doesn't really make sense to me. If you want to compare the effectiveness of an MFE vs MBA in a monetary sense, observe candidates at a benchmark age, say 35. Who is making more then, the kid that did the MFE soon after college or the late-twenties MBA? Of course the recent explosion of MFE programs might make this experiment difficult. It would be interesting though...

Haha, god yes.... why do people not like science and math?? THEY ARE SO FUN!!

I was just researching on the Baruch website... average MBA admit GPA is 3.4, and MFE is like 3.7... GMAT average is 643 for MBA and 733 for MFE... I will totally vote for doing whatever to raise the profile / starting salary for MFEs base on selectivity alone!

CMU MSCF 2010 number
Number of application 784
Admitted 151 (19% acceptance rate)
Enrolled 93 (62% yield)
Thank you so much for all the information! I really appreciated it, but do you know the acceptance rate in each round? Do they accept most student in the first round? I am done with all my planned applications, but I am thinking abt applying this one :)

Thank you so much for all the information! I really appreciated it, but do you know the acceptance rate in each round? Do they accept most student in the first round? I am done with all my planned applications, but I am thinking abt applying this one :)
They don't break out stats in each round but from what I've seen, it makes sense to believe most admits are handed out in earliest rounds.

Hi, I have a strong background in math, physics, and applied math( trible major, good GPA) and pass FM exam(somewhat financial background) and one project in data analysis and one wonderful academical research in Random Matrix, which is good for FE. However, My verbal is retard low about 149, and quant 167 not perfection. Is this criteria enough to apply top graduate program like NYU or CMU. Does these score harm my acceptance? Thanks

Back