• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Any electronic gadget fanatic here ?

Andy,
I really need some advice from an authorized Thinkpad power user ;), as I plan to buy a T61 soon. Is it true what they say about the quality problems with Lenovo Thinkpads (since it's not IBM anymore)? If the problem exists, any ideas for alternatives?

Talking about football (oops, soccer), there are guys who play at Baruch gym sometimes. Any players on quantnet?

Vladimir, I had Thinkpads since the 600E model (600E, T22, T41, T42 and T60 now). They are the best laptops I have seen,work or play with. Really big workhorses!!! Those are the machines that I use for work (my real work) as a coder. I switch between a thinkpad and a IBM Workstation now.

I have played with Dells Inspiron (various models), Sony, Averatec, HP and Compaq, nothing compares to a Thinkpad. The closest thing to a Thinkpad that I have heard of is the Panasonic Toughbook but I have never had a chance to play with one.

...In short, I have full confidence on the build of T61. Go for it, and never look back.

I have successfully convinced at least 3 people in the MFE program to get the same model as mine. I hope you and Christian will be my 4th and 5th converts :D

In any case, buy the 14.1" with SXGA+ (1400x1050) model. Don't go for the lower reso model.

Andy, Alain,
thank you gentlemen,
I feel more than convinced =D> Thank you very-very much (clicked "Thank you" button too, as it is the only way I can express my gratitude)
I suggest we establish a new dual major at Baruch (MFE+Sales&Conviction) ;)

I feel more than convinced =D> Thank you very-very much (clicked "Thank you" button too, as it is the only way I can express my gratitude)
I have a commitment/obligation to help my friends (well anyone) to avoid the mass-marketting traps/lies out there. Friends don't let friends buy Dell !
I suggest we establish a new dual major at Baruch (MFE+Sales&Conviction) ;)
Then I would be the first to apply :D

In any case, i bought mine from costcentral.com. No tax, free shipping. Let me know if they got any deals going on there.

Andy, remember I have Dell notebook and so far it is doing great :) Other than its weight there is nothing to worry about, but I don't carry it around with me so thats not a problem. But maybe I'll buy Thinkpad after my MFE education pays off :) that will happen after I buy PS or XBOX :)

Andy, is Newegg better than any other online PC hardware store? They are definitely not the cheapest. I've been buying parts for my PC from different stores, and never from Newegg. Am I missing something?

Newegg is HomeDepot of the computer world. newegg is highly reputed among computer enthusiast crowd. They are well known for excellent service, price, selection.

I spent several K buying parts from them the last few years. My last 2 computer builds are from them, not including the one I just ordered. You can find this part and that cheaper somewhere else but the other place will come out more expensive with overpriced shipping, tax, etc.

At newegg, you can order several thousand worth of parts and the shipping is $20 or so.
If you bought something and the price goes down within 30 days or so, just email them and they will give you back the difference.
I never have a single problem with them. Shipping is fast. Return/refund is easy.

Now you ask this, I looked at my order history there and i have ordered more than 25 times with them, the first back in 2002 ;)

I usually go to www.pricegrabber.com and they give the best price, including shipping and tax.
I actually made my last purchase at a computer fair (www.tri-statefairs.com), which is a fair where many sellers come to sell at discounted prices. I used to buy from them a lot before internet shopping came into existence.

I will check Newegg next time I decide to buy something.

I remember those tri-state fair thingy ;)
They use to have the fair in the gyms at Lehman college a couple of times a year. Pay a couple of bucks and get your hand stamped on. It must have been over 5 years since the last time i went to a computer fair. Internet deal is way better these days and whatever you bought from the guys at the fair is really at your own risk. No way to return/refund.

By the way, my parts will arrive this Thur. Very excited. :D
Here is the case I'm building

11-163-076-01.jpg

Yes, thats them :) they travel around the tri-state area and even upstate (I think). Now that my former school (Polytech) has a Gym, they go there too. So I went there last time to discuss my issue of having old and new hardware and they showed me which motherboard was good. It would simply take too much time to research the needed motherboard on the internet.

I used to go to those fairs as well... but I stopped going long time ago. I usually get my computer parts from newegg.com (old egghead), compgeeks.com and sometimes from ubid.com or eBay.

Those sites usually cover all my needs.

no X61 reviews yet. Shipping delay is 3-4 weeks.

Can't pass up this deal. Max notified me yesterday and upon some googling, the deal-seeking community is ablaze with this PS3 deal ;)

Get a PS3 as it's a terrific next generation game console, DVD player, music player, Blu-ray player.
For 472, you have the PS3 and 8 free Blu-ray movies. So if you just move into your new apt and looking for something to entertain, look no further.

Amazon has a combo deal on Playstation 3 which stacks with the B2G1 deal on select BluRay movies, making a Playstation 3 + 3 BluRay movies instantly + 5 movies by mail as low as $472.

Add Playstation 3 to cart
Add any 3 BluRay movies from this list, recommended (most expensive - for maximum savings):
Ice Age - The Meltdown [Blu-ray] $27.95
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen [Blu-ray] $27.95
X-Men - The Last Stand [Blu-ray] $27.95

Checkout, your final price should be $472 with free shipping

Submit a mail-in rebate for 5 more movies: http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images...66005749._V32967487_.pdf?tag=quantfinaneng-20

PS3 regular price is $499. Each blu-ray movie is about $15-$30. So after the cost of the free 8 blu-ray movies, the cost of the PS3 in this deal is around $472-$240 = $232 to $472 - $120 = $352

Keep in mind that PS3 is one of the best Blu-ray player out there (beside being a game console, music player, internet browser, etc).

The cheapest Blu-ray standalone is $450 so you save a couple of hundred with this deal.

Go Blu-ray and never feel the blue ;)
P.S: I've been watching a lot of movies in Blu-ray lately and I can't imagine go back to DVD anymore :D

The only problem with the deal is that I don't really want any of those DVDs :)
Instead, they could, at least, give an option of choosing either movies or games; and I would order all FIFA and NHL games that exist for PS3 :)

Was reading about BB on wiki when i saw this nudget of info at the bottom of their model list [wikipedia]blackberry[/wikipedia]
that made me a happy man :D

850/900/1800/1900 MHz
GSM/GPRS/EDGE/WiFi
To be officially announced/confirmed September 24th, 2007.
Suspected; Trackball interface, 2.0 Megapixel camera, Speakerphone, Bluetooth, External MicroSD (to 2Gb), Polyphonic Ringtones, Media Player, WiFi, Hotspot@Home compatible.
T-Mobile (USA)

8800_02%5B1%5D.jpg

Back