• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Any good book on Machine Learning?

So I landed a new gig (those who'd read my blog would know) at a startup being the source of numbers expertise, but I want to find a good book on Machine Learning--that is, one that tells you the tools in relatively straightforward fashion without bogging you down in derivations, proofs, and exercises which do the same.

My mentor gave me Hastie's elements of statistical learning 2E to read, but, he's really heavy-handed with the math (it's a book written for PhD theoreticians I feel), and I just need some basic algorithms to screw around with on an ad-hoc basis.

Anybody care to point me in a good direction?

So I landed a new gig (those who'd read my blog would know) at a startup being the source of numbers expertise, but I want to find a good book on Machine Learning--that is, one that tells you the tools in relatively straightforward fashion without bogging you down in derivations, proofs, and exercises which do the same.

My mentor gave me Hastie's elements of statistical learning 2E to read, but, he's really heavy-handed with the math (it's a book written for PhD theoreticians I feel), and I just need some basic algorithms to screw around with on an ad-hoc basis.

Anybody care to point me in a good direction?

Since you seem to use R, you'll probably like the first book alain recommended better. The implementations in the second book is in python, and you'll have to handle a bit more math in the second book

Your mentor suggested a really good book; if you think you're going to stick with the subject/company for longer than, say, 6 months, you should definitely dig deeper into the book. And, there's actually no "heavy-handed math" in it.

In our Machine Learning Class we put 4 books on reserve:
1. Hastie's Elements of Statistical Learning (which your mentor suggested);
2. Alpaydin's Intro to Machine Learning (A great survey without as much rigor);
3. Marsland's Machine Learning, An Algorithmic Perspective (More practical and code-focused with Python examples);
4. Mitchell's Machine Learning (A classic, but now a bit dated).

I'd suggest looking online at the table of contents and a few pages inside to figure out which one is at the right level for your needs before buying.

Hope this helps.

Miguel Castro

Back