• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Any suggestions for good books for preparing the GRE- New Format

Hello All,

Do you guys have any suggestions for good books to use while preparing for the new format GRE

Thanks!!!

I just started too, and got the Official Guide. When do you plan on taking the test?

the general book isn't that good. you should serioiusly get novas gre prep its really good.

the general book isn't that good. you should serioiusly get novas gre prep its really good.

I got the official guide mostly because I figured the new format is still in it's infancy and most standard books like the Barron's, Kaplan etc would not know too much about the format/questions.

Did you use Nova prep to write the new GRE? I would love to get some first hand experience on this topic.

Nova was the best book to prep for 700-800Q on the old GREs. Not sure about verbal or the new GREs.

I am taking the Revised GRE in mid October and I am preparing from ETS Official Guide and the Princeton Review. The OG is good but it has limited number of practice questions.

i am using princeton review. it has a very intense math section as it covers all kind of question types with an abundance of questions. Also using old Barron's book from 1999 to learn the master vocab list. Not all of them, only those I consider useful. I plan to take the new GRE end of November. Tough though to prep for GRE verbal. Can any non-English native report their GRE verbal score and give some tips on how to improve your score on that section?

are the type of questions in teh new ones different than the old ones? if not, then take novas. i don't know initially i was scoring like 600 using barron's at my house using their practice cd. but once nova came around, it jumped exponentially to 790/800

Ok so I've been working on the official guide and there's very little practice for the verbal section. There's not much on the math either. It's a good place to start but I'll definitely be going over some more books (maybe Barron's).

Is anyone else is working on other books or took the test and found the test was significantly different from the questions in all the standard books?

Does anyone has an idea whether one needs to get all correct on quant to get a 170?

Does anyone has an idea whether one needs to get all correct on quant to get a 170?
GRE

Yes I suppose, because unlike the old GRE which was question adaptive, if you answer 1 or 2 questions incorrectly, you could still manage to get a perfect score. But the new GRE is section adaptive. There are 2 sections for quant with 20 questions each, which makes it a total of 40. So your quant score ranges from 130 least to 170 max and if you answer even 1 ques incorrectly, you will end up getting 169.

why not just make it 0-40 then?? I personally think that 1-2 question wrong will still get you 170 because they have to keep the new scores parallel to the old scores and hence in order to maintain the consistency so that the students who gave GRE before are not benefited, the pattern should be same. the scores are based on PERCENTILE and not on number of questions correct even though both of them are directly corelated

why not just make it 0-40 then?? I personally think that 1-2 question wrong will still get you 170 because they have to keep the new scores parallel to the old scores and hence in order to maintain the consistency so that the students who gave GRE before are not benefited, the pattern should be same. the scores are based on PERCENTILE and not on number of questions correct even though both of them are directly corelated

You might be correct, but there are no specific scoring rules present on the ETS website. Also the number of questions are fixed in new GRE whereas in the old format always there were 1 or 2 ques more or less than the actual count specified. The exact number of questions makes me think that every question counts towards your score.

well every question got counted even before. The way it is graded that you get a ful score if you are above a particular percentile. So it is relative grading, relative to other peoples score.

well every question got counted even before. The way it is graded that you get a ful score if you are above a particular percentile. So it is relative grading, relative to other peoples score.

Hope you are correct.

Back