• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Applied Math PhD + Sr. Engineer in Modeling @ Raytheon, with 2.3 Undergrad GPA

Hi Everyone,

I am a new member of the Forum, first of all, it is nice to meet you all. Here is my current situation:

* Sr. Systems Engineer in Modeling/Simulation/Analysis at Raytheon (1 year)
* U.S. Citizen
* Education/GPA:
> U.C. Berkeley - Bioengineering (2.3 cumulative B.S., 3.2 major), 2003
> Texas Tech - Math (4.00, M.S.), 2006
> U. of Washington - Applied Math (3.80 M.S., 3.78 Ph.D.), 2009
* Other experience: Interned at Microsoft and a small financial planning firm

I am actively seeking a quantitative modeling, model validation position in the banking/finance industry, and despite a very strong background in math/programming, and an extensive experience with model development, simulation, analysis, and validation, my college GPA from 7 years ago still concerns me. Here are my questions:

(1) Would the 2.3 GPA from 7 yrs ago scare recruiters away, given my other accomplishments?
(2) Is there a need to pro-actively justify the 2.3 on my cover letter?
(3) What are ways to market myself to get around the 2.3 and other weaknesses?

Thank you very much for your inputs and feedbacks.

what does it mean "you are seeking a quantitative modeling, model validation position in the banking/finance industry"?

your undergrad GPA at this point is meaningless. Nobody will care about your undergrad GPA from 7 years ago. I wouldn't even mention it on a resume unless they ask you for it. You have 2 advanced degrees so there is nothing to prove from that stand point.

are you applying directly to jobs? talk to recruiters and let them work for your. Believe me, they will be eager to do it if you are worth their time.

what are your other weaknesses? You didn't mention any so we can only guess... and believe me, we have a wild mind so all bets are off. Be more specific if you want advice or feedback.

Thank you for your reply Alain.

Specifically, I am looking for a position where I can develop, implement and validate models for fixed income securities, derivatives, valuation and/or risk management.

I am mainly posting resumes on job search engines and updating Linked-in type accounts at this point. What are good sites to post resumes? What would be good ways to seek out the recruiters and head-hunters? What other means of marketing myself would you recommend (ie, cold calling, etc)?

My other weakness is the lack of experience in the financial industry. My math/programming background has enabled me to successfully develop, implement and validate models for different types of physical systems (biological, aerospace, online media), and I believe that I can do the same for the financial industry. All I need is to get my foot in the door.

I am mainly posting resumes on job search engines and updating Linked-in type accounts at this point. What are good sites to post resumes? What would be good ways to seek out the recruiters and head-hunters? What other means of marketing myself would you recommend (ie, cold calling, etc)?
If you don't live in NY/NJ/CT area no recruiter will take you seriously.

Thank you for your reply Alain.

Specifically, I am looking for a position where I can develop, implement and validate models for fixed income securities, derivatives, valuation and/or risk management.

If they call you for an interview and ask you in-depth questions related to this particular position you should have the knowledge to answer. I doubt they want to hire someone and pay the person a salary for the privilege of training the person.

Back