• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Are there any open source financial software projects out there

Does anyone know a good place to start looking for current and active open source software financial projects? I am looking to get involved with a team and gain some experience with professional code and software development and test my knowledge and learn some new things. My current experience is mostly with C++ and C# and the projects I've done in the past have been in the area of simulations. However they were just personal projects, nothing serious.

Thanks for the leads, I've look at them and decided that I could have some fun with these.

It's never a bad idea to join an open source project, especially if it is well documented. On the other hand, you have to take the rough with the smooth because the library will not teach the things it does not implement. For example, there seems to be an acceptance of OOP being the only 'pure' paradigm.

And implemantion may not always be optimal.

One approach in my opinion is to learn C# and C+, learn and benchmark others' s/w and improve or choose a better model. Learn the languages inside out first.

Since I have no experience with professional base code projects do you think it's a good ideal to look into quantLib.org? After looking at Marketcetera it seems that it is done in java. Tradelink, allows for development in many languages but doesn't seem as organized as Marketcetera or quantLib.org. Plus I really want to do a profession project in c++

Neuron,
I would certainly choose Quantlib for C+ development, My own advice would to get a good background on templates and some essential design patterns. You will need them imo.

Learning C++ and then trying out some Java projects is reasonablyl OK. Moving from Java to C++ is another story.

Daniel,

Yeah at first I was not exactly sure about the quantlib, it seem like quantlib was something for people who are really strong in financial engineering concepts. I was just looking for something to get my "Feet" wet not get involved with crazy pricing models just yet.

Take Joshi's book and work through the exercises. That is enough to get a job. Your main learning will occur during the first five years on the job.

I wanted to know if members in the Quantnet community had to develop a trading system on top of a current open-source platform that has an active community as far as updating goes what software would you choose other than Markecetera?

I searched through Craigslist jobs in Richmond yesterday and happened to see an open source job as an example, here. I know it isn't what you want and probably not where you want it to be, but it pays $95K, or at least it is supposed to, and in Richmond that is AMAZING.

Back