• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Are you readyyyy for some football ?

The other thing about baseball is its history... there is a long long history behind it and a lot of quirky things have happened. Also, there are numbers about every single detail of the game going back to the 1800s.

About the history. Russians played a game similar to baseball hundreds of years ago :) Encyclopedia says it was mentioned in ancient Russian writings ;)

The most complicated thing about football is the pass interference rule. I have no idea how that works unless it is really obvious.

Whatever the rule book says, it's mostly a matter of the ref's common sense--which means you see some variation in how the rule is applied. The first thing to know is that interference can only happen:
(1) when the pass is forward (i.e., not on a lateral)

(2) while the ball is in the air (not before; hitting a receiver before the pass is legal inside 5 yards; outside 5 yards, it's illegal contact, not interference)

(3) before the pass is touched (so if it's tipped, anything goes)

(4) when the ball is catchable by one of the parties involved (i.e., contact on another part of the field can't be called pass interference)

The basic ideas are these:
Was the player going for the ball? If not, then it's interference.
Was one player in a clearly worse position to make a play on the ball than the other? If so, then it's almost always interference.

There is a bias in favor of the offensive player, since it's harder to catch a pass than it is to tip one away.

Pass interference, like all penalty calls (and non-calls), is not reviewable by instant replay.

So there are the basics. NFL corners have developed some effective tricks--like turning the receiver's hips at the last instant--that are very difficult to see at game speed, especially if you're watching the ball. This can make some interference calls non-obvious until you see a replay shot from the correct angle.

At the same time, receivers have become far more physical than was once the case. Some wideouts and many tight ends will actually initiate contact in order to gain position. In those cases, offensive interference is rarely called; however, the defender is usually allowed to respond in kind without being flagged.

anyone interested in SOCCER and Chelsea?

we need to use "SOCCER" rather than "FOOTBALL" here in US. just curious why Americans think that kinda sport as" football" which barely needs foot-kick?

anyone interested in SOCCER and Chelsea?

we need to use "SOCCER" rather than "FOOTBALL" here in US. just curious why Americans think that kinda sport as" football" which barely needs foot-kick?
I thought about it too once but then, eventually you get used to call american football just football.

Ah. The name game.

Soccer is actually a very appropriate word for the game. Football is a generic term used to describe many different games including "Soccer" style football (Soccer is short for Association Football), Rugby style football, and yes, American Football (among others).

This is the origin of the name Football. It comes from Rugby-style football which started at the Rugby school in England around 1823. Rugby was just another way to play Football back then.

Here's an interesting source: http://www.sportsknowhow.com/soccer/history/soccer-history-2.shtml

On October 26, 1863, representatives from 11 schools and clubs met at the Freemasons Tavern to hash out official rules of the game. One club, Blackheath, eventually withdrew from the debates after the group voted not to allow running with the ball or hacking an opponent. When that decision was made, the break between the games that would become soccer and rugby became official.

And here: WikiAnswers - Where did the term soccer as opposed to football originate

The term "soccer" came into use in England during the 1880s by university men from Oxford and Cambridge. The use of "association football" as distinct from "rugby football" was already in practice and "soccer" became a colloquialism formed by extending the second syllable of "association". Today it remains a primarily journalistic or conversational term in Britain and throughout the Commonwealth, but in the United States, Canada and Australia its use is the rule. In its early days soccer in the United States was known as football and when the national governing body of soccer in the United States was formed in 1913, it was known as "The United States of America Football Association." In later years that gave way to "The United States Soccer Football Association" (USSFA) and then to day's "United States Soccer Federation." Many of the state associations in the U.S. contained "football" in their title when they were formed in the early years of the century. In Australia the national team is known as the "Socceroos", while one of the world's best known soccer magazines "World Soccer" is published in England. Consequently soccer is not a term unique to the United States as many people seem to think.

The only problem with "football" is that there is not much "foot play" going on, and the "ball" is not very spherical :)

The only problem with "football" is that there is not much "foot play" going on, and the "ball" is not very spherical :)

I think Woody's post summarized everything... and the ball doesn't have to be spherical :D

There as so many "footballs" around the globe. And every country wants their football to be called "football". I heard about Australian football :) I wonder if they call it "football" in Australia and everything else using other names.

Bob,
Wanna trade Lorenzen for Harrington ? ;)

Eli will probably be okay, and he looked very good (against a depleted Cowboys secondary, but good noneless). Harrington is, and always has been, a scrub. I can't believe the Falcons aren't going after Leftwich, but evidently our new OC has a history with him, and they don't get along.

Fortunately, this being New York, I get to spend my Sundays watching the Giants and Jets suck, rather than being forced to watch my team doing it. At least I'll get to see New England at least twice this season; they're going to be fun to watch--for all us non-Jets fans, at least.

NE, Indy, and SD declared themselves the class of the league this weekend. I still think SD is the best team, though. Chicago shut down LT, and the Chargers still dominated in the second half. They have so many ways to win, and with Norv Turner they have a coach who's going to make better decisions than Marty "Mr. Mediocrity" Schottenheimer did.

The Giants' defense was a big letdown yesterday. Losing Osi U. didn't help. Manning and the offense impressed me. 4 TD/1 INT is not bad. I like the new HC of the Cowboys. Their last TD broke my heart, badly.

I have the same feeling "Here we go again" after the first week. Giants just can't escape their injury woes. I probably will have a heart attack soon if I keep watching the Giants come "oh so close but never over that hum"
I'm rooting for Manning this season. The other Manning. He is just too good.

Also, waiting for some Oct magic from the Yankees ;)

I like the new HC of the Cowboys.
The guy I like on that staff is OC Jason Garrett. He was that rarest of NFL QB's: the career backup who nobody thought could ever be a starter, yet was never out of a job. Tells you something about where his value lies. He has three rings from being on the sidelines with the Cowboys, but he was never really in the league as more than a spot player: He essentially spent 13 years as an assistant coach.

Phillips is a great DC--he knows the 3-4 defense as well as anybody in the league, which is why he's currently in Dallas--but I think even he was surprised to get another crack at running a team from the top spot. He has a winning record as a HC--no small thing in the NFL--but has the reputation of being a guy the players don't like. Tom Coughlin is exhibits A-F of how that works out.

Isn't the situation in Atlanta getting worse by the day, Bob ?

You could say so. Then again, you could pretty much say the same for every day since the Falcons lost the NFC championship game to the Eagles at the end of the 2004-2005 season. They've been more or less lost in the wilderness since then.

I think everyone knows this year is a lost cause. They'll spend the rest of the season vying with Cleveland for the distinction of worst record...and the first shot at Brian Brohm. I just hope his NFL career works out better than his brother Jeff's did.

In the process, they'll try lots of different schemes, personnel, and so on in an effort to figure out who's actually worth keeping, and how to use their talents. If the new coaching staff is smart, they'll be a lot better next year. If they're not smart, then the Falcons will be one year closer to becoming the Cleveland Browns. Fortunately, becoming that bad is the work of many years, not just one.

Where is the D, Big Blue ?

Rumor has it that Falcons are talking to Leftwich. Heck, even senator Larry Craig is a big upgrade over Harrington. Apparently, Harrington loves to stand still and get sacked. 13 sacks in 2 games must be some kind of record. ;)

Harrington is horrible!!! I'm really sorry about the Falcons. Leftwich was great in Marshall and when he is on, he is very good. His main problem is that he doesn't move at all. I think a light pole in the wind moves more that Leftwich in the pocket.

Went for the New England Patriots Vs San Diego Chargers game ..... home turf advantage saw them through to a rout!!

Twas my induction into the spirit of football!

Back