• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Asian markets plummet

Hang Seng - (-1311) 7.43%
BSE Sensex - (-660) 5%
Nikkei- (-440) 3.75

I am wondering, if the Asian markets are over reacting.

Or infact how much of this can be seen as speculation ? Or are there traders who are shorting stocks to extent that the stock prices go almost zero ?

Is the mortgage crisis really so evil that it is eating away the global economy ? Or some market players are trying to cash in the falling markets threatening the economies of world ?

I would really appreciate some views about all these things.

Are foreign markets affected in any way by the new SEC ruling on short-selling? (I ask because I have no idea)

In financial market, what you see is what it is. Nothing should be really over or under reacting in my opinion.

No, the SEC only regulates US markets.

Many countries have standing rules that restrict or prohibit short selling altogether, though.

Are foreign markets affected in any way by the new SEC ruling on short-selling? (I ask because I have no idea)

Surely not, White house might have a say in Iraq, but probably not over say China, Russia, Japan, Korea...

anyway, everything were pulled back over night, major, major, with halt on short selling and central banks rescue, let's see if we can have a cat jump today.

I would appreciate if some technical analysts could explain what happened between 11:20 and 1:20 pm.

I believe the technical explanation is that trading was halted, and when it resumed, the shares had gapped up. It shouldn't have a line connecting those points.

I believe the technical explanation is that trading was halted, and when it resumed, the shares had gapped up. It shouldn't have a line connecting those points.

I could not track the markets late night, could you give in the link where events for yesterday are quoted. I couldnt find anywhere written that trading at BSE was halted yesterday.

No, the SEC only regulates US markets.

Many countries have standing rules that restrict or prohibit short selling altogether, though.

I hear this new short selling rule is only going to be enforced for the next Week's to calm current market conditions.

Back