• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Attending Fox School of Business for MSFE, Fall 2011

Hello everyone,

I have been admitted to the Fox School of Business - Temple University for the MSFE degree. My course begins on 22nd August 2011 and I am all set to leave..
However, I am a bit concerned that I have not come across anyone who will be coming for the course this Fall. The university too is not forthcoming with the details of the students they have admitted.

If any of you knows someone who will be going for the program OR has graduated from the same program OR will be taking it up yourself, please do reply to this post.

Thanks in advance

Hello everyone,

I have been admitted to the Fox School of Business - Temple University for the MSFE degree. My course begins on 22nd August 2011 and I am all set to leave..
However, I am a bit concerned that I have not come across anyone who will be coming for the course this Fall. The university too is not forthcoming with the details of the students they have admitted.

If any of you knows someone who will be going for the program OR has graduated from the same program OR will be taking it up yourself, please do reply to this post.

Thanks in advance

This may just be some early warning signs. Have you looked on linkedin to see if you can find any Alumni?

Just wondering, do they have any past stats on placement?

Hmm... There are a few alumni groups of but mainly from their MBA programs. I have not checked specifically for the FE alumni groups.. I guess I should do that asap!

Hi Andy, thanks for re-directing me to my previous post. Yes, I have contacted entusiast but I still need to know of other students who would be joining this Fall. Considering the reach of Quantnet, I thought it most appropriate to call out to people from here.

Have you paid anything yet? If not then try to buy some time while you search for more info.

I hear 30 students have accepted. this does not mean class size will be 30. If prospective students get admission offers from higher target schools, they may most likely accept those.

U r better off contacting current students or alumini. PM me any questions.

hey i am from philly myself. I won't suggest you take that program as it is not really reputable. I did some research and even called up some of the employees at susquehanna international located at bala cynwood and they didn't have any temple mfe grads working for them. I also tried to reach out to the director and he didn't give me any type of info regarding placement etc, the program's reputation etc. temple is good to pursue actuary work, but not quant stuff...

Since I'm an international student, the procedures involved in a single application are severely time consuming and tedious. I have paid the tuition deposits at Fox and now also have an approved F1 visa for Temple University.
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I'd still like to know if there's any other student here who would be going for the same program this Fall. Assuming, it would make some of the pre-departure procedures easier if we are from the same country.
MFE alumni would be even better help as I'd need some people who know the city and could probably assist with any program related queries I may have.

well, you can always transfer out of the program and go into their acturial science program? I don't remember specifically what department offers the acturial program. Also, since you are international, i believe the mfe is being offered by their business program. so, you would only get an OPT for a year. not the 3 year OPT that comes specifically for STEM Majors..

Since I'm an international student, the procedures involved in a single application are severely time consuming and tedious. I have paid the tuition deposits at Fox and now also have an approved F1 visa for Temple University.
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I'd still like to know if there's any other student here who would be going for the same program this Fall. Assuming, it would make some of the pre-departure procedures easier if we are from the same country.
MFE alumni would be even better help as I'd need some people who know the city and could probably assist with any program related queries I may have.

It seems you have your mind set on Fox. Well, provided you fully understand what you are up against / getting into. Some might say it could be a good idea to delay things for a year and make your profile stronger to enable you get into schools with better placement records.

hey i am from philly myself. I won't suggest you take that program as it is not really reputable. I did some research and even called up some of the employees at susquehanna international located at bala cynwood and they didn't have any temple mfe grads working for them. I also tried to reach out to the director and he didn't give me any type of info regarding placement etc, the program's reputation etc. temple is good to pursue actuary work, but not quant stuff...

A Temple CS grad works at SIG who also teaches C++ for Temple MSFE students. For the SIG Quants, I have heard that they only hire PhD's. The only jobs you can be considered for at SIG are programmers or trader.

thats not true. my friend works under william chen. he doesn't have a phd. and hes from drexel

Just curious how you reached the conclusion that the Temple MSFE is "not really reputable"? Was it a lack of information or something bad you heard? I can understand asking the director about placements, but you asked the director about the program's reputation?

sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. I can understand that you might be pretty upset at my statements. This is how I reached my conclusions...1). I attended the information session. It was conducted by the Fox business school and they themselves couldn't tell me much of the program because it was brand new at the moment. This was 2-3 years ago. Perhaps things have changed.
2). I shot 3 emails to the director asking him about the program, how the placements were. This was three years ago. I asked specifically What type of jobs do students coming out of the program get. Where do the students get placed? What are the starting salaries. What type of students were they looking for? I graduated from Drexel as an engineer so I was really interested in staying in philly at the moment and perhaps work at the philadelphia stock exchange or susquehanna. After not getting anything in reply, I decided to go down to the Fox business school
3). I went over to the fox business school. I talked with many masters students who were actuaries and even undergrads. But I couldn't find any financial engineers. Those with whom I have talked with couldn't tell me much as it was a brand new program at the time. Currently two of my friends are studying acturial science and they said that they were going to apply to rutgers msmf instead of going to temple. Alghough i have heard very good things about their acturial science program. My friend who is a senior at marsh said she has hired many temple acturies under her. But I wasn't interested in the acturial program.

4)I lived in Philly for 11 years. So Im well aware of temple's program.

Perhaps my conclusion can be changed if employment statistics, starting salaries and job placement was posted and what types of companies recruit from temple mfe.

Yes I asked the Director about the program's reputation. I don't see anything wrong with that. Last thing I wanted to do was pay 15grand to a program that no one has heard of. I was being conscious of where I spent my money.

Sounds like a case of - attempted to get information but could not. The program was newish 3 years ago. Those informations sessions at Temple are pretty much for MBA students. Its worthless going to them. Best chance to get information is to arrange a meeting with the Director, sit in a class and talk with existing students. Thats how I went abt it.

I visited the program's website http://sbm.temple.edu/msfe/ today.
The website does not seem to be updated or contains any useful info. The tuition fee is for spring 2009, the information session info is last updated for March 2010. There is no stats on admission/internship/placement, class profile. I find it curious that they link to 2 job websites to answer "What kind of jobs for quant finance professionals"
http://sbm.temple.edu/msfe/ad-faq-program.html#car

enthusiast
Maybe you can politely suggest that they update the site and put in more info? I know it was newish program 3 years ago but it's surely not helping with such a lacking website.

Sure, I will suggest it. 2011-2012 tuition rates r not out yet due to the PA budget issues and the PA funding cut to Temple. I think I should aslo suggest getting rid of the info session (geared for MBA program), if they don't provide additional information compared to website.

Sure, I will suggest it. 2011-2012 tuition rates r not out yet due to the PA budget issues and the PA funding cut to Temple. I think I should aslo suggest getting rid of the info session (geared for MBA program), if they don't provide additional information compared to website.

This is absolutely bare minimum.. website with relevant and updated info. Maybe you should also suggest the program director come read some of the comments here.

Back