• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Automated trading - room for humanz?

From "The Rise of the Robots: Technology and the Threat of Mass Unemployment" by Martin Ford

"By some estimates, automated trading algorithms are now responsible for at least a third of transactions in the UK. However, in the US the proportion is much higher, with some estimates putting it at 70 percent. These sophisticated robotic traders—many of which are powered by techniques on the frontier of artificial intelligence research—go far beyond simply executing routine trades. They attempt to profit by detecting and then snapping up shares in front of huge transactions initiated by mutual funds and pension managers. They seek to deceive other algorithms by inundating the system with decoy bids that are then withdrawn within tiny fractions of a second. In the US, both Bloomberg and Dow News Service offer special machine-readable products designed to feed the algorithms’ voracious appetites for financial news that they can—perhaps within milliseconds—turn into profitable trades. The news services also provide real-time metrics that let the machines see which items are attracting the most attention. 44 Twitter, Facebook, and the blogosphere are likewise all fodder for these competing algorithms. In a 2013 paper published in the scientific journal Nature, a group of physicists studied global financial markets and identified “an emerging ecology of competitive machines featuring ‘crowds’ of predatory algorithms,” and suggested that robotic trading had progressed beyond the control—and even comprehension—of the humans who designed the systems. 45"

With this in mind, and with the trend set to continue if this is accurate, what are the implications for future employment in the industry? Aside from investor realations (sales), where are the humans most likely to be in demand?

Can a machine drive out to a Wal-Mart, measure foot traffic, assess aesthetics/presentation/customer service? And repeat for a well chosen statistically sound sample across the US and abroad?

Can a machine drive out to a Wal-Mart, measure foot traffic, assess aesthetics/presentation/customer service? And repeat for a well chosen statistically sound sample across the US and abroad?
So i assume this is as important part of value assessment as Bloomberg news feeds?
I dont necessarily agree with Ford - his is more the tech viewpoint. I couldnt see much in the way of economic argument. That said, automation is going to make it tough for human traders...

So i assume this is as important part of value assessment as Bloomberg news feeds?
I dont necessarily agree with Ford - his is more the tech viewpoint. I couldnt see much in the way of economic argument. That said, automation is going to make it tough for human traders...
There are pretty well defined boundaries of what machines can or can't do, whether it's because the algorithms aren't developed enough, or because the logistics simply don't allow it. Yes, many manual trading tasks are being automated, but there are niches where that isn't practical.

Yes this is my feeling from my own work with data - so what sort of niches do you mean?

Back