• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch's pre MFE program for non-US resident?

I've been graduated (major in math) from college since 2012. Been looking for a good pre-MFE program to brush up my math skills then I came across Baruch Pre-MFE program. I would love to take all three of the math preparatory courses but unfortunately it's on-site only. As a foreigner (not in US now), any other options for me to take the courses?

I've been graduated (major in math) from college since 2012. Been looking for a good pre-MFE program to brush up my math skills then I came across Baruch Pre-MFE program. I would love to take all three of the math preparatory courses but unfortunately it's on-site only. As a foreigner (not in US now), any other options for me to take the courses?
You could take the c++ course offered by the program online. Better yet, you could buy Dans book (two of them for ~ 100 ish not sure how expensive it is anymore) online which covers both the refresher for advanced calc and numerical courses page by page. Hence you don't need to be there to learn the material.

You could take the c++ course offered by the program online. Better yet, you could buy Dans book (two of them for ~ 100 ish not sure how expensive it is anymore) online which covers both the refresher for advanced calc and numerical courses page by page. Hence you don't need to be there to learn the material.

Yes I've enrolled in the C++ online course.
I thought about self-study on the math subjects like what you suggested, either from the books or MOOCs. But IMO it's not convincing to the admission committees without an actual certificate showing on my resume. I'm planning to reapply some top MFEs program next year btw.

Yes I've enrolled in the C++ online course.
I thought about self-study on the math subjects like what you suggested, either from the books or MOOCs. But IMO it's not convincing to the admission committees without an actual certificate showing on my resume. I'm planning to reapply some top MFEs program next year btw.

a lot of people get As in these refreshers. U r better off spending time taking advanced courses as that would be more impressive than As in refresher courses. The purpose of these certificate is to "refresh" your knowledge. Not to showcase your talent. Although that is an eventual outcome. :).

a lot of people get As in these refreshers. U r better off spending time taking advanced courses as that would be more impressive than As in refresher courses. The purpose of these certificate is to "refresh" your knowledge. Not to showcase your talent. Although that is an eventual outcome. :).

Thanks RajanS. Any recommendations on the advanced courses?

Interesting point... I got the impression that these pre-MFE classes are not easy. Especially if you're taking two or more classes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but upon successful completion of these courses you'll be able to get a recommendation or two which will be a huge plus compared to outsiders.

Also, do you think if you explicitly state in your application that you have successfully finished C++ course, read and understood everything in those 2 books you would be as competitive as those who are coming with the pre-MFE certificate?

Interesting point... I got the impression that these pre-MFE classes are not easy. Especially if you're taking two or more classes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but upon successful completion of these courses you'll be able to get a recommendation or two which will be a huge plus compared to outsiders.

No it's not easy by all means. But I think it's easy for those who have a undergrad in math which the op said he had. Yes it leads to recommendations providing you do well, not only into Baruch but also to elsewhere you are applying to

No it's not easy by all means. But I think it's easy for those who have a undergrad in math which the op said he had. Yes it leads to recommendations providing you do well, not only into Baruch but also to elsewhere you are applying to

Is it possible to get recommendation letter from the C++ online course?

Thanks for sharing. I've have noticed one comment from the post saying some MFE programs do not accept LOR from TA. Is that true?
It's been more than 4 years since I graduated from college. I hardly doubt I can get a strong LOR from my former professors. That's one of the main reasons why I wanted to get into some Pre-MFE classes and hopefully get some strong academic LORs.

For the C++ course, it is the TA who knows how good the student's performance has been, in particular the grades speak for themselves.
Most academics are not directly involved with C++, so they are not in a position to express a view. Each to his own.

The Baruch/QN C++ (98, 11, 14, 17) courses are based on more than 25 years of industrial/financial experience and thus are mature and relevant.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I've have noticed one comment from the post saying some MFE programs do not accept LOR from TA. Is that true?
It's been more than 4 years since I graduated from college. I hardly doubt I can get a strong LOR from my former professors. That's one of the main reasons why I wanted to get into some Pre-MFE classes and hopefully get some strong academic LORs.

We provide letters of recommendation to every student who completes the Pre-MFE seminars successfully and asks for such letters.

That baruch certificate is too freakin' expensive. I'm gonna just enroll at a community college for online course. hehe = )

That baruch certificate is too freakin' expensive. I'm gonna just enroll at a community college for online course. hehe = )

How much are you willing to pay for the certificate?

How much are you willing to pay for the MFE?

I haven't checked but I'm almost certain Baruch MFE + pre-MFE certificate tuition is less than the tuition to other well known MFE program (and some not so well known as well).

How much are you willing to pay for the certificate?

How much are you willing to pay for the MFE?

I haven't checked but I'm almost certain Baruch MFE + pre-MFE certificate tuition is less than the tuition to other well known MFE program (and some not so well known as well).

I said the certificate is expensive haha.
Do I really want to make this kind of investment (almost $1500 for the C++ certificate) before I'm even in the program?
That's my question.

I said the certificate is expensive haha.
Do I really want to make this kind of investment (almost $1500 for the C++ certificate) before I'm even in the program?
That's my question.

$1500 for C++ is very very good value , believe me. Most commercial trainer here in EU (Datasim included) ask 2X.

I once saw another C++ for 3K ... not half as good as Baruch. And... we have TAs!!! :D

BTW I have not seen any C++ courses to the same standard, but there again Datasim has been doing it since 1989 all over the world :)

Last edited:
Back